Does anybody have some ideas or tricks to capture straggler bees that have come in on the honey supers? The room has a window. I have queen pheromone and bee escapes and could come up with something with these and a nuc that would catch the bees. I would like to ensure the bees are promptly captured but not lost or wasted. Thanks for your ideas.
    JBJ
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

I guess you don't want to use a flyswatter and a paper cup?

I turn the lights out and open the window. If it's dark outside I turn on the porch light and out they go.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

>The room has a window. I have queen pheromone and bee escapes and could come up with something with these and a nuc that would catch the bees.

I put the Bee boost (QMP pheromone) and some lemongrass essential oil (but you could use the commercial swarm lure) in a five-frame nuc with some wet frames so they have some comb to gather on and something to eat, in the window. The bees will tend to accumulate in the nuc and you can take them back out to the beeyard at your leisure.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If the window has a screen I leave the screen open about a half inch at the top. I just prop it open with a stick. Then I open the window at the bottom about 8" and put a piece of cardboard over the window leaving the bottom part that is open to the screen uncovered. Turn off the light and leave for an hr or two. Many of the bees will fly toward the bottom part of the window that has light coming thru. The will land on the screen and walk up it to the opening at the top.... and fly out.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

After I extract the straggler will usually fly back into a super you can take the extracted supers and place them above the inner cover, the bees will find there way back into the hive and the bees will clean the supers up. Provided you donÂ’t leave them on to long otherwise they will start to fill them back up if nectar is still present. However there is no guarantee that the bees will be excepted. JBJ, nice web page.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

um, shop vac.
    The way I see it is this, if you brought those straggles back from a different yard then they will orientate at the window and your extracting room becomes their hive. If they are from the same yard then they get out and go back to the hive, tell two sisters and then they come calling. Next thing you know is that you have a nice little robbing frenze going on.
    I prefer to keep the peace. I suck them up.

I haven't needed it yet but no one else suggested the bee escape in the window. ie, remove the screen and replace with a screen or board w/ an escape in it.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

they will orientate at the window and your extracting room becomes their hive.

I haven't seen it happen yet in my case.... they would have to fly in and then walk down about 28" and then do a turn into the room... Doesn't mean it couldn't..... I just haven't seen it.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I have a permanently closed windows where I extract, a day after bringing the supers most of the bees will be on the windows, I use my shop vac then take it to any one of yard and open it there.