I was wondering what a fare price to charge for a complete hive would be. I've got some people that want to buy them from my beekeeping class (just tookover my grandfather's bees last year after he passed away). The bees aren't in the normal langsroth (sp) style hives but are in the old world style (posted about these last year) hives. Basically one big box with everything in it together. Anyway I'd be selling the whole thing. Bees, brood, leftover honey stores (I didn't get a chance to pull any honey from several of them last fall) etc. Granted the hives probably aren't worth anything to them because they'll just switch them over anyway. I'd say there's probably 25 deep frames in each hive. And their fairly strong (I had 19 of my 20 hives survive this cold PA winter so I've either got a strong strain or there's something to those hives.) So any suggestions on what I should charge would be helpful, I'm looking for a fair price for everyone. Don't want the rip anyone off but I need the $ to buy updated equipment.

Thanks,

Mike

I figure you buy a package through the mail by the time you pay postage and insurance and all you've got $75 and only a few pounds of bees. You're selling at least 10 times that many bees and they don't have to risk the post office. Even if you figure non standard equipment as not being worth anything, the bees are worth $150 at least. You can cut a peice of plywood to fit both a standard box and the old box and just put a standard Langstroth box on top and wait for them to move up.

I do remember you talking about the boxes, but what are the dimensions? How similar to Langstroths or Dadant Deeps? If it's an old Dadant square box they could just keep them in that with supers on top.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited May 04, 2003).]

i agree with michael,i don't think $200 per hive would be too much to ask.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Mike