Have any of you used Honey Bee Healthy? If so did it improve your bees health noticably?
    It is what it is.

I used it for the first time this year. I didn't notice any difference in the bees but they took the sugar water with HBH MUCH faster. I kept two hives on straight 1:1 with the other ones on 1:1 w/HBH. The staright 1:1 lasted about twice as long on average. Just my observations.

The bees love it. But that's because it's got lemongrass essential oil in it which is basically Nasonov pheromone. If you use it, look out for robbing. I had a lot of problems with robbing when using it. The HBH syrup is a great thing to spray on plastic to improve acceptance. I haven't used it enough to say if the bees were any healthier from the HBH but the ones getting robbed weren't. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with Bush, I use it and my bees love it too. I started several packages this year and personaly I think it has greatly helped them along. I recommend HBH for anyone to try for themselves. Good luck!

I think it may have helped my hives overwinter when I used it. And it does keep mildew out of the sugar syrup.

Someone posted a version of HBH somewhere,
    does someone have the way to make it??

I got this recipe from my sister (biologist & beekeeper)and use it every other batch of feed I mix up:

5 C. Water
    2 1/2 Lbs. Sugar
    1/8 tsp. Lecithin granules (found at health store)
    15 drops Spearmint Oil
    15 drops Lemongrass Oil

Heat water to boiling, add Lecithin and mix well. Remove from heat and add sugar. When luke warm add the essential oils.

The Lecithin helps blend oils in the water base (since oil and water don't mix).

I have found that if I don't get the water hot enough the Lecithin doesn't disolve well and tends to stick to the sides of the pan.

My bees LOVE it. My hives seem to be very healthy this year (first year I have used it).

Hope this helps.
    Vickie
    A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water - Eleanor Roosevelt

Would someone please tell me exactly what the EO is for? Like what does the Spearmint and Lemongrass EO do for the bees?? Is this an alternative to chemically treating the bees for mites and fall treatments?? Thanks
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

How much of the HBH recipe do you add to a gallon of 2 to 1 syrup?
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Lemongrass smells like Nasonov. It's an attractant. There was some research on essential oils for mite control:

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Vickie,

Thanks for that recipe and thank your sister for us.
    What are we, men or Beekeepers?