Do you guys seperate the different kinds of honey in your hives, or do you mix all the frames together when you extract, and how do you tell what it's made of?

I have been wondering how you can tell what type of honey is in a frame, whether it's from tulip poplar, or locust, or clover, or whatever? Do you know because of the proximity of the flowers in the area, or is there some other way to tell.

Sometimes you can see the change in color and taste the change as they are gathering it. Sometimes they are using a lot of different nectar sources at once and you can't tell. You have to pay a lot of attention to what they are working on and what color it is and what it tastes like to get where you can tell what kind of honey you have.

If you want to sell a particular variety of honey, you also have to pull all the supers off when a new nectar source starts and pull them after it's over in order to keep them separate.

If you don't want to sell it as a particular variety, you can just extract them all and mix them up or you can sort by color after you harvest, or you can sort them as nectar flows start and stop. Usually I've just harvested them all at once. Sometimes I've sorted by color.

It is interesting to sell it when you sort it by color. You can package it with three jars of different colored honey together. Most people find the concept of honey as something other than a homogenous commodity interesting and attractive. They get curious to see what the different kinds taste like.

I'll seperate supers and frames based on color of honey. This is for marketing purposes. I experience lighter honey in the spring and darker in the fall. Fall darkness has to do alot with goldenrod. Spring is fruit trees and clover for the most part.
    Bees collect from whatever is available and I do not label honey as it is usually a mixture of several sources. Although there is distinct differences with each flow. I had a batch of honey last year that was very perfumy.