Sad

Hello all!
    I have just had my first swarm of the year but they are so far up an old cedar treey there is no chance of me getting them down myself. What I have done is to set up a honey super with pulled foundation (super because it was ready on short notice)complete with hive top feeder with a bit of sugar water and entrance feeder with small mason jar of last years honey. This setup is located within fifteen feet of the cedar tree. I'm just crossing my fingers and have hope that the scouts find the setup and not some other location.

Does this sound like a worthy try? I do not own a shotgun so I am not able to shoot it down like others have had success doing. I have heard of baited hive bodies, am I close in my attempt?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sincerely,
    rflegel

The only other thing I recall is to add a drop or two of lemon grass oil to mimic a queen having been there. If they have already swarmed, the scouts probably already have a new home scoped out, but what the heck.

IF you don't have lemon grass oil on hand, you can use lemon pledge sprayed on a rag and placed in the bait hive.

Thanks for the advice, I will take note and remember to use the lemon grass oil next time. You were right about the scouts having already found a new home garyl. The swarm was gone within a very short time. Darn it! I estimate they were about 40 to 50 feet up. Too far for me to climb with no one else in the area to call for help. I had wanted to do a split last week but had a bug of some sort. I should have done it anyway. Live and learn.

The colony is so healthy, I hope they do well in the wild! I still have a good number left so I'm not too disappointed. Best of luck to you all!

Thanks again,
    rflegel