1. If I am using plasticell foundation in my brood chambers do I need to cross wire the frames? It seems like pretty strong stuff and sicne I'm not going to be running it in an extractor didn't think it needed cross suport wires.

2. If one uses placticcell foundation in a medium super do they need cross suport wires? Is there what is the benifit to using pure wax foundation in the super?

thanks for any help anyone can give.
    clarence

No to the crosswiring.

Haven't used plasicell but I prefer pure beeswax because I think they draw it out faster, unless its coated with beeswax.

I would try fully drawn plastic if it came in small cell.

Hey Bruce, nice to hear from you again.

I agree, no wiring the plasticell. Regardless where you use it or whether you extract or not.

Cutting small cell deep wired foundation to 3/4 inch starter strips,getting 11 pcs. You need. >apair of aviation snipes with the bottom jaw flat it will cut the wire flat.A utility knife.A stright edge and also a board bigger than the foundation.Lay out use stright edge and knife to cut foundation and then use snipes cutting wire.

I use all plasticell, (I guess you could say I am a modern beekeeper, in other words, fairly new it is really not necessary to wire the plastic foundation. It would most likely mess up the bees trying to draw out the foundation. I have had very good sucess with plastic foundation. Buy black if you go with it, the bees draw it out much faster.
    TXBEE

I don't know what this will add, but I just extracted a super of honey that was on un-wired foundation. I had heard that the spinning would cause the comb to fail, so I used 3 rubberbands evenly spaced about the frame, and had no problems. This was on shallow frames and probably would work for medium frames. Deeps would likely be a different story due to the added surface area and weight.
    Regards from Western NC!

TXBEE,I have not messing with bees sence the last part of the 1970s and things have changed in beekeeping.It is a lot more pest to deal with like varroa mites and I read all the post on this form.Michael Bush has knows how to regress bee by uses of sc foundation as a starter strip,they draw wax fast on them.Also you can save a lot of money having it in your broodnest. Phil Wells

>I don't know what this will add, but I just extracted a super of honey that was on un-wired foundation. I had heard that the spinning would cause the comb to fail, so I used 3 rubberbands evenly spaced about the frame, and had no problems. This was on shallow frames and probably would work for medium frames. Deeps would likely be a different story due to the added surface area and weight.

I don't use the rubber bands, but I've extracted shallows and mediums with no wire and, indeed, often with no foundation, many times. I haven't done it on deeps, but Charles Martin Simon says he has extracted foundationless deeps with no problems.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a four-frame hand-cranked extractor and regularly extract medium non-wired combs.

It's all in the wrist.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

Does anybody know of any really slick frame wiring jig designs? I was looking at an old issue of Bee Culture (Jan 96) and a letter refers to a jig and wax embedding system used by the late O. B. Wiser. The letter writer was looking for any information he could find on it and it sounded interesting.

You can buy them from Walter T. Kelly, Brushy Mt and Dadant.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF