I have recently applied to our state dept of ag. to sell honey through the state owned stores. One of the stumbling blocks that I have come up against is their insistance that I have "Product Liability" insurance. I have checked with a couple of agents and I simply can't afford the cost. Have any of you run into this and if you have do you know of any inexpensive insurance policies for this type of insurance?

Thanks

I would check with your county farm bureau. Most of them have insurance affiliations for the ag. industry.

Check with the American Beekeeping Federation
    Ph (912) 427-4233, e-mail: info@abfnet.org

There is an add in the last ABJ precisely for that.

Jorge

Sounds like a plot between the Insurance Companies and the Lawyers. Who'd sue someone over bad honey? Who'd collect premiums to insure someone that their honey won't be bad?

Michael,

You'd be amazed what the states are starting to require. I still haven't found any place that will insure me for less then $500 per year. That's a lot of honey sales for a small beekeeper.

It's always amazing to me the number of laws they can pass that may be only a minor nuisance to a large business but make it impossible to run a small one.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Check with any local beeeeping clubs. Our local club's insurance covers you for any honey sales that are done through the clubs functions. Sales outside of club functions are not covered, but someone's insurance could be different.