Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WiredForStereo,
    Several years ago I did the same thing.
    I had an observation hive and was feeding them syrup dyed with red food coloring.
    It was interesting to see where the bees
    stored it. After a couple of jars I switched
    to blue and ended up with green honey. The flow started and when it got mixed with the blue, well every one knows, blue and yellow make green. I called it My Christmas Honey
    frame.

------------------
    Dave Verville
    Fremont, NH USA

Yes, but did it turn the bees red and blue and green?

I'll pay the person who comes out with an All American red, white and blue bee.

Joseph

[This message has been edited by Got Honey? (edited April 22, 2003).]

Broke down yesterday and mowed the yard for the first time this year. I probably saved my marriage and made the nieghbors happy too! I did look silly though stopping at every dandelion that had a bee on it. When bees are working, man are they focused. They would rather be run over than quit working those wonderful dandelion weeds - I mean flowers.

I have to wait until the dandelions are done blooming. Besides I WANT them to go to seed.

I get dandelion heads from a freind who cuts them off just before the go to seed so I can scatter them in my yard.

And people said I had the jones bad. I won't try to destroy dandlions any more but to sow seed for them, I think not.
    Al

Big Grin

Al:You walk arond the naborhood after dark & throw the seed's

The dadelions in town are going to seed, so I gathered a grocery sack full to sow tomorrow.

Hello Folks,

You know you've arrived at bee nirvana when you can pick a dandelion bloom. Bite the center out. Taste it. And it tastes as sweet to you as it does to the bees.

It's too late for me!
    Dennis

PS Don't make any noises that resemble buzzing while tasting blooms or the wife and kids come after you with a net. :> )

i unexpectedly dropped by a friends today,he had one live hive.it looked strong,we went in the house and talked for awhile,when suddenly Will suggested we go outside and watch the burros,we stood under a tree and noticed after a few moments some bees, that quickly became a swarm in a branch over our heads!when we brought over a hive body,they had dropped to the ground in a big clump,we placed a few rocks on the edges and placed a box with comb and lid over it and they went right in. i think they had the whole thing planned.

the fever's back!

Cool

It's gotten so bad that my wife will come and sit on my lap while i read the posts here just so she can get as much attention as the bees. She has even taken to reading along so we have something in common to talk about besides the kids.

I love this thread--I got my bees a year ago because I am a gardening fanatic. I never had a problem growing anything in NJ (the Garden State), but was having real problems down here in NC. After doing some research, I found out my problem was there are no pollinators here because they've all been killed off by the mosquito spraying trucks. I wasn't about to hand pollinate, so last March I got a couple of hives which has now grown to three (I really don't want more, but it looks like I'm going to have to split one of them soon). Now I think about my girls incessantly--can't wait to get home from work to check on them and am never happier than when I'm working in the garden and they're buzzing around me. I'll sit for hours and watch them at the water feature I built just for them. I even gave each hive (3) a name and made name signs which hang from the bottom boards! My husband and friends roll their eyes when I start to talk about "my girls." They sure don't mind eating the honey or the food I make from honey recipes though! So glad I made this discovery--it's a fascinating hobby!

About the comment last year about us being crazy, Most think we are crazy for having a hive and when you tell them you love these critters that sting they give real funny looks at you like you belong in the looney bin.

I spend every hour I can with my bees. I wish I lived on the same place. I have spend many hours under the tree in a rclining lawn chair sipping on sweet tea. The bees take a sip from time to time. I purchased 2 packages last spring and hope to make it to 30 in 2 years without purchasing another package in my lifetime. Ordering queens is one thing but packages are to high for this disabled person to afford.My wife thinks I am nuts not because I keep bees for honey but the way I love them and care for them. Because of my limited income I have bought a couple of saws with the money she set aside for me some clothes. Does this make me crazy? LOL

kookaburra Guest

Cool

Whew! Glad to see that either I'm not going insane or that I have a whole lot of company!
    I have been trying to control my enthusiasm, but I have noticed that there are alot of people who don't seem to want to talk to me anymore because all that they hear about are the bees! I know I can sometimes go on kicks when I get excited about things sometimes (gardening, fishing) but I don't ever think I've had anything consume me this badly!!
    Got the first hive last year. Had to buy the saw to make the next one, boxes and frames. That $200 max I told my wife turned out to be a minimum. Now to recoup the costs (like I promised my wife it would!)
    Watching them bring in the pollen really gets me excited! I know I sound like an inexperienced rookie, but that is fine, I am!

Rick

Wink

Whoa be to the person who asks me that third question about my bees!
    --
    Unless I'm at one of our bee club meetings, which ALWAYS entails much in-depth discussion about our little wards, I try to "curb" my crazy enthusiasm.

Usually this involves friends or remote family members who happen to recall that I keep bees and so they make the obligatory inquiry, "how are my bees doing?"

"Oh, they're doing okay." And that's usually the end of it. On a rare occasion, I might get some short secondary question to which I also try an equally short reply.

But then, WATCH OUT.... if someone actually asks that third question, they had better prepare to learn more about "how my bees are doing" than they ever dared care about! Anyone who makes the mistake in showing too much interest in honeybees is going to get a desertion they may long live to regret (unless, of course, they're truly interested in becoming a beekeeper!).

I just re-read my post on this thread from last year. (I had gone from 1 to 20 hives.) I'm suspicious again. Today I found myself making the bee yard bigger and I made a bunch of bottom boards and lids. You always need some extra equipment, right? This is my first trip through swarm season with my NWCs and they have a swarmy rep! I'm starting to get a little frightened.

Dickm

Hi Guys,

Sounds like you all have the potential to become commercial beekeepers. It could be the result of a genetic deficiency :> ). That's what my wife tells me!

I just saw an advertizement on TV that showed the world's worst neighbors moving in next door. The kids unloaded a couple of dirt bikes and started tearing up the yard with them.

Dad comes out of the moving van with a couple of supers crawling with bees. They're labeled "Killer Bees" in big red letters.

Mom drags a large, reluctant alligator on a leash out of the moving van.

I asked myself, "Could I and my family be the world's worst next door neighbors?"

Nah!. Although my wife is from the tropics, she knows nothing about alligators. :> )))

Regards
    topbarguy

Hi Guys,

Sounds like you all have the potential to become commercial beekeepers. It could be the result of a genetic deficiency :> ). That's what my wife tells me!

I just saw an advertizement on TV that showed the world's worst neighbors moving in next door. The kids unloaded a couple of dirt bikes and started tearing up the yard with them.

Dad comes out of the moving van with a couple of supers crawling with bees. They're labeled "Killer Bees" in big red letters.

Mom drags a large, reluctant alligator on a leash out of the moving van.

I asked myself, "Could I and my family be the world's worst next door neighbors?"

Nah!. Although my wife is from the tropics, she knows nothing about alligators. :> )))

Regards
    topbarguy

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Big Grin

Whew, what a relief!
    I thought I was the only one!
    Honestly, I think about bees as much or more than I thought about girls when I was in high school!
    My poor wife...
    I told her that I wanted an obs. hive in the bedroom and she said I would be sleeping by myself.
    Jason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast