Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    at first i thought it was just a bad case of bee fever,now i'm pretty sure i'm under their control,it's not as bad this time of year when their numbers are down and their less active.soon though i'll be possessed,my mind will be able to think of nothing else,i can't leave a supermarket without checking the price of sugar,i lay awake at night trying to come up with better ways to serve them.i even think they make me check the weather forcast when i get up,i'm sure they can read my mind.

Smile

I love your description. Sometimes I feel the same.

Jorge

Hi your right. I work in a supermarket i watch the price of honey like it was the stock market. Right now its -2 degrees here in ohio and im thinking about the package bees i bought and how im going to hive them. On weekdays and saturday the catalogs are like the Bible I use on Sunday. Welcome to the world of beekeeping. I think if I ever lost that feeling you discribed I would probly get rid of them.
    Yours in the wonderful hobby of beekeeping .
    Walt

Agreed. That is the way I feel....

Thesurveyor

I certainly can relate to all this. The sears catolog in the bathroom has been replaced by the bee catolog. I started last spring with the idea that a friend and I would share a hive. (ie: I began with 1/2 a hive). When I placed the order for the woodenware I ordered enough for 3. When I cleared out a place to put them I made room for 4-5 hives. When I picked up the 1st 4 nucs I ordered more. To sum up: I finished the season with 8 hives and I have no idea how it happened. I found something to do with them every day and I've been building bee stuff all winter.
    Sadly, all but 1 died in the winter. When all those little funerals were over I found myself ordering 16 nucs. Here I am a bee addict! At night my last thought is,"what can I do for my bees tomorrow".
    I have no idea how this happened but am planning to go into rehab. (Just as soon as the honey flow is over.) This column is more like Bees Anonymous than anything else.

Dickm

YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THAT I HAVE HAD ALL MY SPLITS MADE AND READY TO GO JUST HAVE TO WAIT TILL SPRING TO PUT BEES IN THEM LOTS OF TOSSING AND TURNING AT NIGHT

In the seventies I went up towards 60 hives, with disinterest, the mites etc. I was down to one in 1997. Then I decided to rebuild up to ten, that was going to be the limit. Today I have 27 and just chased a swarm this morning. It's a fever that just keeps coming back.

Wink

Sssshhh, don't talk so loud! If THEY get wise to the way we think, we'll all wind up in the funny farm. Or can it be called thinking? More like addictive reaction, I should think, but still I love the silly little insects just the same as you

I don't even have my first package of bees yet and they still have consumed my thoughts and actions for the past 2 months. I've read every book in the 2 local libraries, checked every web site I can find and memorized 2 catologs prices. I'll get my bees in 1 week and I'm afraid the excitement just might be contagious, even my wife has started reading my books and cataloges.!!!

the "bee fever" has overtaken me so bad that i will doze off sitting in my recliner
    while looking through bee supply catologs.
    Zeke

Cool

Honey Doo...

Wife: When are you going to paint the house?
    Me: Just as soon as I get the supers on the hives and the new supers built

Wife: When are you going to fix my car? Its only running on 3 cylinders now.
    Me: Just as soon as I go get the primary swarm someone just called me about. You can still get to work - can't you?

Wife: When are you going to clear all of those supers off the patio so we can have a cookout with the family?
    Me: Just as soon as I finish extracing the honey dear.

Wife: You use to grow vegetables in the garden but now you only plant flowers that the bees like.
    Me: Giant sells vegetables - don't they?

Wife: How come you cut down all the maple trees and planted poplar and locust.
    Me: Uh.. We were getting short on firewood.

etc.

Big Grin

I thought I was the only one. I read and reread, I've wore the catologs out and have about wore the key board out looking at supplys and such. I go back in the woods where I've set a block of wood to set on while I watch them and talk to them. I plead with them to move into the hive bodies so I can move them closer to the house, I want to see them more often. Would be nice if the first thing I did in the morning is tell the girls hello, and the last thing at night is say to them good night. My wife is crazier than I am, she wants to put the hives right on the edge of our biggest flower garden. Thats fine with me I tell her, but what of the people who visit going in shock? Think we should put a sign out, NO TRESSPASSING IN THE FLOWER GARDENS? Or maybe ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK?
    I love the little things, Thank the great spirit for showing them to me.
    Al

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited April 16, 2003).]

I just face the entrace away from the path and don't tell anybody they are there. It's not like bees are aggressive. Well, not normally and if they are somethings wrong.

Wink

Alley, you need to build an observation hive! Go to Beesource.com then Plans...Build it!
    You got the Jones bad.
    Bill

I agree with bill. You REALLY need an observation hive in your living room. Maybe a couple.

Lightbulb

Alley, for a quick fix to your Jones, make a clear plexiglas inner cover like the one Barry posted here. You can look in the hive without disturbing the bees too much.

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

sugar sale here at the supermarket in town, 5lbs for .99,i know where i'm going tomorrow.

I am going to dye my sugar syrup blue, I am going for blue bees.

------------------
    Sol Parker
    Southern Oregon Apiaries

I think you'll just end up with blue honey.

Wink

Really, in the living room? Does that mean I have to buy a bunch more house plants for my Kare? The bees would need flower blooms to work wouldn't they? Kare might just go along with that, more plants and bees to watch.

Al

------------------
    Your not fully dressed until you put on a smile.