Question

I gave my overwintered hive some brood builder again today, as well as checking for brood. It's a small colony right now, looks like 1/2 the amount of bees that were in the 3# pkgs that i just hived. Its a wonder they survived the winter at all! I did find the queen & she's recently laid ALOT of eggs (still in 1st stages), if i recall correctly...3 frames, both sides, and 1 side of another. Looks like more than the amount of workers can keep warm (we're suppose to get snow tonight). Anyway, the reason for this entry is that i noticed that in some of the cells (not too many, & mainly toward the bottom of frames) she has laid 2-3 eggs in the same cell, as though it was a worker laying. All the other cells look good, all stages (just laid & standing up, larvae, capped, none emerging yet though) Should i just keep track of her or what? The queen i bought late last year ended up getting superceded (so much for that $16). This hive's had problems since i bought it 3 springs ago, as a 2 story complete, of which the original new Buckfast queen was superceded then too.
    thanks, Deanna

Sometimes when there is a change in laying, especially a queen that just started or a queen that just kicked into high gear I see some multiple eggs but usually it stops after a few days and things reach a new level of "normal" for the queen.

I'd check back in a week and see if it hasn't straightened out. Also watch to make sure you aren't getting a lot of drone brood.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited April 27, 2004).]

thanks, i wondered being that it was only a few.
    i won't know they're drones until later right? or is there a way of seeing a difference before hand?

Not really, until they are capped.