I bought a used Dadant electric steam wax capping melter. I haven't used it yet, but saw a wax, and honey separator that was made inside a bucket. It cost $70.00 plus in the catalog. How can I make one?
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

If it is the pail you saw from Walter Kelly I have one and I don't think it would be to hard to make. Just get a stainless steel pail solder in a baffel and put a outlet in the pail about halfway up in the area of the baffel. Honey settles out fron the wax and travels under the baffel and out the hole. You could add a second outlet so you could drain the wax as well. It would need to be about two thirds of the way up. Good Luck I hope this helps.

It might help, but I couldn't build one from that explanation. Anybody else?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

CORRECTION: The melter was made by Walter Kelley, and I did see the pail separator in their catalog. It didn't show any detail, of coarse.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

this sounds a lot like a greese trap found in resturants. there is an enlet on one side, with a baffel close to that end of the tank. then an outlet on the other end of the tank just slightly lower than the inlet with a baffel just befor it. the area in the middle is where the greese and oils flote to the top and collect. since the water is heavier, it just flows on through under the solids and out the other side.

this soulds like it would work well with wax that has been melted in water. keep a nice slow flow and the wax should come to the top.

I'm sure you can find some dementions and specs on greese traps on line somewhere that will give you enough information to develop an idea on how to make your own wax trap.

If you just let the melted wax, along with the honey drop into a plastic mop bucket, the wax should just float to the surface? Then I could just wash the honey from the underside of the wax, and feed the remainder of the honey back to the bees? This sounds a lot cheeper than the separater from Walter Kelly. I have set a limit of my operation to 12-hives, but I'm still a ways to go to even get that. I plan on following Walt Wrights, Nectar Management theory.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

I you're melting cappings and honey, just get two big pots that will fit inside each other and use it as a double boiler. When the cappings are metled, pour them through a cheesecloth or a screen into one of those rubbermaid tubs that Walter Kelly sells for wax. When the it cools, pull the wax off the top and pour the honey off the bottom through a screen again into a bucket. Wash the wax off or reprocess again to get it cleaner.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF