Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

winter losses

13K views 80 replies 39 participants last post by  loggermike 
#1 ·
Ok this was my second winter. The first year I had 2 hives this past winter I over wintered 11 hives and one nuc. My bees are mostly on natural cell sizes. I did combine a couple late splits and swarms that did not build up enough to make it through the winter. I have not lost a hive as of yet. My question is what am I doing if any thing that has kept me from loosing any hives?

What are the the losses of other on here and what do you use for treatment of V mites?

As a side note I over wintered in 2 mediums for most hives and a couple had 3 mediums.

#77 ·
I remove EVERY frame and spray bees on both sides, using about 1.5 fl oz if frame is 100% covered w/ bees (both sides). I have EXPECTED drop numbers to DECREASE (zero would be nice) after 3 or 4 tx. But they are INCREASING at a steady rate.

I have sprayed my queen, sprayed capped brood, sprayed OPEN brood and eggs. Have not seen ANY sign of damage (yet
)

Please explain your "heater w/ OA" - thanx

#78 ·
The OA heater can be as simple as a few pieces of pipe together(copper with brass fittings) and use a propane torch to heat the area with the OA until it vaporizes. Then if you like how it works you can buy the factory made ones that use a battery to heat a small metal plate the vaporizes the OA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.