Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: oxalic acid

I had a brain fart.

I have heard various people say that you can use oxalic acid vaporization with honey supers on, and that it does not increase the OA content of the honey. Does anyone have more information about this?

Thanks,
    Kai

Go to the page http://www.mellifera.de/engl2.htm
    and look under

Solubility of wax and residues in honey

I must have missed it. Where does one purchase oxalic acid? Is there a brand name?

------------------
    the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com

I purchased mine for $6.00 at Lowes in the wood stripping, staining section. It comes in a small plastic pail, powdered form and labled "Wood Bleach". I don't recall the brand name. Home depot has a different kind of wood bleach that comes in liquid form and is NOT oxalic acid.

Kai

You can get oxalic acid from a photographic supply house. It may be more expensive but I would think the purity would be better.

To a great extent purity is not relevant. What really is the difference between 99.9 and 98%? Not much when it comes to food type applications. OA is naturally extracted so any adulterants would be present in nature and not likely to hurt anything. They would most likely only include oxides anyways, which are for the most part inert. One would think that food grade chemicals are of high purity but in reality they are some of the least purified. Compare the cost of reagent grade NaCl to table salt sometime, it costs about 100 times more and is 10 times more pure.

This is really kind of funny. I went to the best hardware store near here and also the farmers co-op and nobody could get me oxalic acid! Never even heard of it! Thanks for the input. To Lowes I go.

------------------

Ox,
    mine is a DAP product from the paint section at the local True Value Hardware store. I think that if you ask for wood bleach you'll have better results than if you ask for oxalic acid. Some wood bleaches are not oxalic acid, so read the fine print! A friend of mine gets oxalic acid at the pharmacy---probably better not to ask for wood bleach there.
    I'm sure I've been through Tiller but I don't recall it. Do you have anything resembling a hardware store there? Where do you shop for big items, Roseburg?...Medford?
    George

Well I finally managed to acquire some oxalic acid in Medford. Lowes in Medford does not sell it any longer. Went here and there and my last effort to Ace Hardware 2 minutes before closing was successful Felt like purchasing a case just in case!
    mattoleriver: There's a post office, a school and one small market in Tiller. That's it. Shady Cove used to have a hardware store but it went belly up. I'm 1 1/2 hours from either Roseburg or Medford in Umpqua National Forest. Maps to my place can be seen here: http://www.singingfalls.com/findus.html#Maps

------------------

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456