A lot of people have asked about making queens late in the year. Of course it's different everywhere, but here in north Texas, I have made 3 queens in the last month in splits. All three are now laying. I expect we'll be able to continue to do so until the end of September. The biggest problem here is dearth, so feeding is a must. I'm betting on a decent fall flow for build up, which won't happen if we don't get rain soon.

Ross, you have drones to fertilize that late?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

So far, yes. We are still in the high 90's every day and night time lows are 70-75. Our first temperature break is likely to be mid September. They may kick out the drones earlier if this drought doesn't break.

Here in Alabama I have approx. 30 or more drones in every hive.Drones arn't the problem here,it's the SHB...If I split now they are killed off.I'd love to raise queens now but am afraid i'd lose too more than a queen.
    Ross have you noticed an increase in SHB in the hives in late summer?
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

Your Majesty, I don't have SHB but I was told their larva stage has to develop in the ground and are vulnerable there. I kind of thought that would end the problem. Obviously I missed something.

My ground is covered in pineneedles which turns the soil too acidy for the SHB. If it were that much of a problem, I'd think y'all would be up here loading up some pine needles.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Ross...
    here in central texas we can generally get queens mated up until the last of October or whenever the first big northern blow in....

As long as there are still plenty of drones around and weather good enough to mate (above 50 and not raining) you should be able to raise queens.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF