Thread: Gloves

I have large hands and am tired of pulling off my sweaty gloves. I need larger ones. WHo makes the largest gloves? My hands are big!

I also have large hands and use the $10.00 XLs from Mann Lake.

Hi,This is my third season as a bee keeper. Unless the bee are in a bad mood I do not wear gloves. I find when I go bare handed things go much smoother Less droping and banging fewer bees are crushed. Just remember to wemove all rings before you open the hive. I almoast had to have my wedding band cut off last season DAN

One of the first lessons I was taught was not to wear gloves. I don't even own a pair of bee gloves. Th only times I get stung is when I inadvertantly mash a bee. Wearing gloves makes you more liable to mash bees, which makes more of them mad and releases more alarm scent. On the rare ocasion I feel that I need gloves, I use a pair of deerskin driving gloves, since deerksin is very soft and supple and doesn't harden like cowide when dried out.

I HAVE a pair of bee gloves, but I usually wear a pair of latex gloves for washing dishes. They work well enough: I have watched bees try to sting without sucess. I DID get one barely there sting through them last year. A couple of rubber bands at the cuff end make them fit around my arms.

Latex gloves are thinner and more flexible. I don't know how big they make them, though.

Big Grin

I don't wear gloves unless I am robbing honey, usually the bees don't sting me unless I mash a couple. The latex gloves are not sting resistant, they will sting right through the gloves. I've used them and they do help, but I think it gives a little false security. I find that I am a lot more careful when I don't wear gloves and I find it easier to handle the frames.
    As I said, when I rob honey I ALWAYS wear gloves as the bee will KILL you if you don't. I wear the the goatskin gloves I bought from Brushy Mountain.
    I've gotten used to the stings to a certain extint, but when the bee's are wild it can be rough. Good luck.