Exclamation

I have a couple hives at an orchard with strawberries, blackberries and peaches. All have fruit set and no blooms EXCEPT the blackberries which are adjacent to the strawberries. (Whew, Got all that?)

The owner is going to be spraying the strawberries and peaches with SEVEN XLR and PRISTINE FUNgICIDE. He still wants the bees for the blackberry blooms, but I am concerned with the proximity and chance of overspray on the blackberry blooms.

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

[size="1"][ May 17, 2006, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Hill's Hivery ][/size]
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

My suggestion would be to remove your hives. The SEVIN XLR is a broad-ranged insecticide and seeing as he's applying it as a spray, more then likely some will drift over to the blackberries. The fungicide i would not bee so worried about the bees geting sick and dying from, but rather they will carry residue back to the hive. I would say when dealing with insecticides, it is better to be safe then sorry. After all, would it be worth devestating your hive or worse losing your hive completely for what you would gain by leaving them there?

I agree with Kyle. I would pull my colonies or tell him to back of the Sevin until after the bloom.

Recall that there is no dispute that cannot
    be resolved with a smile and a semi-automatic
    weapon.

I'd tell him that if he sprays while your bees
    are in place, it will be the last he sees of
    you, and every other beekeeper you can warn
    about him.

In most pollination agreements, any use of
    any pesticide while bees are in place is
    grounds for instant termination without
    refund of any fees.

He has given me notice per our contract and has been easy to work with. I will explain to him that the seven needs to wait until after all the blooms, or the hives will be pulled completely.

Thank you all for the prompt information.

You could pull the hives and return them for a fee of course. But for a couple of hives it hardly seems worth it. You definitely do not growers practising "swarm control measures" on your hives.

Jean-Marc

yes sevin is definatly one of the worst sprays for bees that money can buy. You do not want your bees near it for a little while. our hives are in our dads blueberry field right now and right after i type this im going out to spray Pristine. So it will not hurt the bees. do you know what he is spraying for there are a few sprays now that kill insects but not bees. that is what most blueberry growers around here are useing while the bees are in the field then they can keep them pollinating longer. Nick

He is going to spray Pristine first, and the Sevin later. How long would I wait if i were going to put the hives back at the location? According to the label it says no bloom present. So to me, it seems that if I pull them they are not going back because his blackberries are the last crop.

What is the distance from the stawberries to blackberries?

Good question Nick......... if its far enough you might be OK

About 15 feet...give or take 10!

Move them before sevin is sprayed.

Seven is very toxic for bees and the half life of the spray is 14 days. If you value your bees MOVE THEM but do not return until 15 days after the spray is applied.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964