I'm sure the question has been asked before but, if you take a hive that is about to swarm but take the swarm cell and put it in a nuc with a frame of honey & brood, will the nuc still swarm? or will the virgin hatch, mate & return giving you an easy split?

The nuc won't swarm. But the hive will probably still swarm. You would have to take most of the cells and make nucs and remove about half the bees and the old queen to stop them.

I usually do a split with the old queen and about half of everything, reduce the number of queen cells in the old hive to one or two. You can cut them out and use them to requeen other hives or put them in nucs for small splits.

I had good luck taking the queen cell/s and putting them into nuc/s. I did how ever take 3 frames of bees and brood for each nuc I made. I made one from one hive and 2 from the other. So I took 6 frames of 20 out of one and 3 of 20 out of the other. The parent hives are building alot of bur comb and need to be supered(hope to get the supers made in the morning) and are building queen cups again. I removed all the cups Saturday(none with larva). But I think this is because of my neglect of not having the supers to put on instead of not moving the old queen back a month ago. My main problem is the nucs I made six weeks ago are nearly filling 2 medium boxes already. The ones I made a month ago are begging to be put into full size boxes. I did have a nuc swarm on me a couple weeks ago, and it is taking off nicely. Just to much of a good thing this spring with no money for suplies as my scrap lumber finding have been mostly smaller stuff for frames. Good luck.

JC

Swarming makes much easier work of hive increase. Because the bees are preparing to swarm you get queen raised that doesn't break the brood cycle as long as a walkaway (queenless) split does. The bees can buildup faster from this since there remains a ready supply of young bees.

2 weeks ago while giving one of my hives a complete going through, I found capped swarm cells. I have been trying to increase to about 20 hives so I figured this was a fine opportunity. The hive was in 2 brood boxes and had one medium super. So I divided the hive by making 2 new 5 frame nuc's one of which included the original queen, one had a frame with several swarm cells and the original colony was now reduced to 1 ten frame brood box with a frame containing several swarm cells. The original colony still swarmed about 10 days later, fortunately on a Saturday when I was home. I retreived this swarm and successfully hived it. I then made an examination of the original hive again and found my timing was perfect as I got to see a new queen emerge from a swarm cell. They must have been holding her back until the swarm had gone. Anyway start with 1 strong hive end with 4 maybe's. What fun!!

I love to have swarms, when I catch them. Hate to have them when I don't.

I split three hives with queen cells in each nuc, AFTER the parent hive swarmed this year, and had very poor success. At least one of two nucs from each hive didn't mate a queen, and in at least one case the parent hive nuc failed too. In two cases, I moved the nucs to a new site, so loss of population was not the problem in those.