Thread: Mite Control?

We had a beekeeper in the other day who said he was talking to a real old beekeeper down in Alabama the other day. The old guy said he hadn't had any mite or hive beetle issues since developing the following formula:

Mix very well 2 parts Crisco, 1 part powdered sugar and 1 part Copenhagen chewing tobacco. Put some of this mixture in a jar lid and slide into hive entrance. It'll last for 2-3 months, then do it again. He said it (Copenhagen, I presume) doesn't flavor his honey.

Who knows, could be worth trying?

Rick
    Western Bee

I wonder if the chewing tobacco will increase the honeybees chances for cancer? I also wonder if the bees get cranky when he takes it away? I know people do.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Might try mixing some Red Bull in there too. They say it gives you wings!

Nicotine is an insecticide. I see no reason it wouldn't kill some mites. I'm not sure what it will do to the bees or the honey though...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Nicotine is more than just an insecticide. It's a toxin with wide activity including being a humanicide with a high enough dose. It used to be used on greenhouse crops for insect control, but I've never heard it used as an acaricide (for mites) although it may be quite toxic to them.

I've still got a bag of finely ground tobacco dust from years ago. I think I'll keep it away from the bees, thank you very much.

As a side note, I've never been a smoker and I find the finely ground dust to have a very pleasant, kind of sweet smell.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

Just did a quick google on nicotine and mites and I find a bunch of recommendations for nicotine smoke being used for spider mites. So I maybe it's a question of which is more suseptible to the nicotine, the mites, or the bees.

Oh, and the ubiquitous warning; nicotine in this case is being used as an acaricide and isn't really labeled for use in hives.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

I'm gonna ask A dumb question.But I would feel A whole lot dumber if I didn't ask it and killed my bees.Somebody explane to me 2 part this 1 part that I see it all the time is it like 2 qts to 1qt?

2 part this 1 part that
    In math it's called a ratio, often written -- "2::1", which means (2 parts to 1 part).

Some people just say, 3 to 1, 2 to 1, 3 to 4, or whatever. It doesn't necessarily need any particular volume measurement to qualify it, it is just a ratio -- so much of one item (ingredient) added to so much of another item (ingredient), for instance 2 (teaspoons/gallons/trucks, etc.) to 1 (teaspoons/gallons/trucks, etc.).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thanks Joseph I've got it now

Although I haven't tried to count, I am convinced there are actually more cures for mites than there are for hiccups.

Following the tobacco idea, I think I will take a big chaw of Beech-Nut and spit on every bee I see with a mite. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>I'm not sure what it will do to the bees or the honey though...

Adding an addictive ingredient to honey is bound to raise the demand. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe there are more mite cures than mites?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

IWe were smoking our bees with tobacco smoke and dried grapefruit leaves and was getting a really good mitefall, or so I thought at the time. About double of natural mite fall. The bees did not like the smoke, you could hear a very loud angry buzz when we smoked them. We stopped using the tobacco smoke when we started dusting them with powdered sugar, which dropped many many more mites.

>Maybe there are more mite cures than mites?

-¿Cómo va la cura?
    -La cura va bien, pero las abejas se pierden.

-What about the cure?
    -The cure is right, but we are losing the bees.