Question

Morning all,

I checked my SBB this morning and found 1 silkworm dead on the board and one hanging from the other side.

At least I think they are silkworms. They were white, about an inch long.

They didn;t come form inside. I think they crawled up from underneath.

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks!
    Thanks

They are wax worms. They might have been layed on the underside of the bottom board or somewhere in the nooks and crannies of the hive. The bees apparently threw them out if they were above, or they crawled up if they were below. They start out pink. They change color as they get older to more white or grey.

Thanks Mike. This won't be a problem will it?

Inspect the hive. If you don't see wax worms in there and the bees are strong and healthy and have brood and stores, then no it won't be a problem. If they are failing they often get a lot of wax worms in the combs. Look for "trails" in the midrib of the comb. They aren't always obvious because they are hiding from the bees. It's possible you have a problem and possible you don't. Check it out.

I'll agree with Michael,That they are wax worms.also I would'nt wait long before I Inspect the hive because wax worms can destroy a hive in amatter of days>>>>MARK

I have one hive with 3 deeps. The top deep is full of capped honey. I went into this hive yesterday to requeen it and found
    the presence of a few wax worms. This hive isn't as strong as I would like, that's the reason I am requeening. I cleaned out what few I saw. What can I do about this? Should I
    reduce the boxes to 2 deeps to crowd the bees or what can I do to prevent the wax moths from taking over? Thanks, Duane.

First, I would search high and low for a cause. This hive should be strong enough to handle this, so see if there is a problem with the brood. Do a drop test and a visual inspection for Varroa mites. Look for signs of robbing (fighting at the entrance etc.). Look for signs of dysentery (yellow streaks on the landing board and inside the hive).

If you find any problems in these areas you need to deal with them.

Meanwhile, the only thing I know you can put in a hive with bees in it that will kill the moths and not injure the bees or the honey, is Certan. It's just listed as "Wax Moth Control" but it's for sale here: http://www.beeworks.com/uspage5.asp

You can mix it up and spray it directly on the combs or on the moths and it will kill the moths. It is a bacteria that kills the wax moth larvae.