• 70 - 80

40 36.36%
  • 80 - 100

20 18.18%
  • 100 - 200 or more

2 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wondering how many here fall into the different classes of beekeepers.
    Hobby, Sideline or Commercial

I have five strong hives this year and I'm planning to be at 15 or more by the end of 2006

I have six going into the winter,hope to be at 50 next winter..
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

I usually have between 600 and 800 colonies going into the summer. Right now I hope that I have 200 that will make it through the winter. They are currently in South Caolina and will be there until spring. When they are loaded onto a semi to come back north.

Mark
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I have 4 hives right now. Just started them up this spring. I plan to expand slowly... want to get a handle on overwintering and IPM before I get too many hives going. I'm having a wonderful time... I'm hooked !!
    To everything there is a season ....

well 2005 was my first year and I started with 6 but going for 20 next year.
    Ted

Question about polls on this site.
    Can I view the results a few days after I vote without having to re-vote?

yes you can...
    "To bee or not to bee"

If you don't count nucs, my goal is to stay around fifty. I can't say I succeed at it. But counting nucs I've topped a hundred a few times.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

We have run about 150 with about 1/4 of those in 2 queen units in summer for the past several years. We swell to about 300 with spring nucs. We winter around 1/2 in the south to replace losses and for nucs. We don't plan much expansion next year but want to concentrate on management and queen rearing.

Excellent poll question Carolina!

[size="1"][ December 25, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

well I reckon my sister's computer (I am currently staying in northern Louisiana for the christmas holiday)will not allow me to vote, so my numbers will not be in the poll. as of this date my total hive count stands at 80 hives (laying queens).

I have 15 hives currently. I plan to expand to 50 of my own and will be tending another 75 for a friend who is out of the country.
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.

i had 104 hives going into the winter and i expect none well die, there still doing good, young queens, good stores, my hard work payed off. I'm selling bulk bees and nucs and doing blueberry and raspberry pollination this too so i'll have the funds to increase to 200 hives and have enough to cover all the other expences. then the following year i'll do much the same but go up to 400 and then the following after that we'll get to our goal of 500 hives.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Currantly have 400 with plans to increase to 700 this spring before heading back from Florida.

Currantly have 400 with plans to increase to 700 this spring before heading back from Florida.

Have 6 right now but ask me in March and it could be different.

I have 4 hives, one looks like it is failing. Not much activity in and around it. Will order more bees for 1 more hive for spring. I love the bees, feel dumber everytime I work them, but totally admire their hard work.
    barbeeq

I have 11 hives, just barely made it into the third category (10-20). I plan to increase to 20 or so this year with an ultimate goal of 40. I think that will give me a retirement project to keep me busy when that happens in about 6 years. I was surprised - but pleasantly so - that the poll indicates the largest category is those with the least number of hives. I look forward to see what the poll progresses to.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I went into winter with 21 hives, now I've got 20. We'll see how many I have come spring [img]smile.gif[/img]

My original plan was to double my hive count each year until I was having more fun than I could stand. Now, I guess I'll just make what increase I can from what makes it through the winter and see what happens. I've got a lot of learning to do yet, and I'd like to perfect an IPM strategy while still relatively small- enough hives to mess with but not so many that I have to resort to undesirable management methods and chemicals to keep them alive.

I'm also starting a timber framing business with a friend so I guess I'll just have what hives I have, enjoy them, and make as much honey as I make, and be content.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast