I noticed there are several northern bee source members who have said something about wintering hives in the South.

If someone would be interested in trading a small number of Nucs/hives each year for a good location to winter in the South please PM me.

I have access to a large number of acres in farmland, forklifts and skid-stear loader to help unload / load along with a nice parking lot for tractor trailer type trucks and my labor to help feed/care for your hives if wanted/needed.

It won't cost any out of pocket $$$ to use this location or the equipment.

I'm located in the southern piedmont of central North Carolina with fairly easy access to interstate 85 / 77 and 95.

I'll keep that in mind when AHb gets to SC. I have family in MD and they would like me to stop there for the winter. But NC would make for an earlier spring. Which is why I go south.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Ok thanks Mark"

If you should want to stop in and look around sometime just give me a shout.

okay

Last I heard the SC legislature is listening to a group of beekeeps who want measures to prevent foreign owned hives from being wintered here and shipped to Cali for (I assume) almonds. I heard an older beekeeper talking about it - they are very concerned here and I spose local sabres are a rattlin. (don't shoot the messenger mark, that's all I know)

So the Northern aggression continues?
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

haha. I spose so.

[size="1"][ February 05, 2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: FordGuy ][/size]

FORDGUY, I wouldn't shoot the messenger. I might miss and shoot myself. Haven't I been the messenger lately?

Northern Aggression, funny. I'm a Foriegner wherever I go. MD to NC to NY to NC to W VA to VA to OH to NY. Here for 20 years, most of the year. When I'm not in SC. So, I'm a true Border State baby and transient.

I know that many SC beeks don't like us being in SC, but Singleton tells y'all that we are cleaner than y'all on average.

There is so much space in those swamps. There is room for alot more. I probably shouldn't have said that. Someone might not like it. Oh, well. I've been run out of worse places. Notice I didn't say better.

I hear you Mark! who is singleton? But yeah, we could use a hundred million more hives here and I would not know the difference. So you are in the lowcountry when you are here?

Singleton, Fred Singleton is the SC State Apiary Inspector. Or at least sometimes he is. He does other things, since there isn't enough bee work to keep him employed at just that.

Low Country? Yeah. Conway, Brittons Neck area. Between Gallivants Ferry and Rt.378 along the Pee Dee Hwy. and then across the river to the Brittons Neck area, near the Park and Blow, on 378. Been going there for about 15 years.

And you, where are you located? Wanna get together for one of our NY Beekeepers in SC Meetings at Big D's BB-Q near Hemingway or over in Manning?

We NYers usually get toegther every friday or saturday evening, while we are in SC for the spring season.

It would be nice to meet more friendly SC beekeepers. I'm assuming that you would be friendly anyway. I do know that there are some folks that would just as soon see us somewhere else. But, what the hay? Some of us own property in SC. Not me, but others.

Keep in touch.

The lowcountry is coastal. I'm in the midlands, Saluda County out in dairy country. Conway is a haul for me, but manning ain't so bad. I'd love to meet you yankees, and I love BBQ.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Well, if you love BBQ, maybe you are more Yankee than you think. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

BBQ is made here, too. But not like the southern styles. In MD, where I'm originally from B&J's makes both Southern and Northern "STYLE". In Williamsburg, VA, Pierce's Pit BBQ makes a nice BBQ. In Hemingway and Conway and Manning, the BBQ is all similar, but distinct. So far, I haven't met a BBQ that I didn't like. Some have been too hot. But that's me, I think. I try to carry a Honeybear with me to sweeten and calm down the hot stuff.

I'll try to contact you before my trip south.

FordGuy et al, It is my understanding that it is the Agriculture folks that are considering promulgating a regulation to ban SC beekeepers from bringing bees back into the state from areas of known AHB infestation. This would probably only affect a handful of beekeepers. Ironically, at least one of them is from the PeeDee. We should be getting an update at the SC Beekeepers meeting scheduled for March 4 at the Farm Bureau headquaters in Cayce. Come join us. As for the rest of y'all, there are a number of friendly SC beekeepers . You just need tyo get out more. As for AHB's ,with the way the weather has been going the last few years , I figure its just a matter of time before someone begins selling genuine Catskills Killer Bee Honey. Ta ta...

"You just need to get out more." Working bees six days a week and taking sunday to attend church, the laundromat and the movies, doesn't give one much time to get out, as you say. Besides get togethers at the BBQ shacks there isn't a whole lot of time spent socializing and the local beekeepers don't make themselves known too well. I have met Ronny Moore and J.R. Richardson, though. But I don't usually see them but once every few years or so. So, look for me and others at the Pee Dee Exchange at the intersection of Rt. 378 and the Pee Dee Hwy. From March until May. I drive a F-450 Super Duty, white in color. License plate SQKCRK B. Hope to run into you.

Problem is, anyone who has a truckload of
    bees driving into NC is only hours away
    from assured no-freeze, no-frost, no-ice
    weather only a few more hours south on
    77 or 95.

The worst ice storms I ever saw were the
    "freezing rain" incidents in Greensboro, NC,
    where everything got coated by ice, and
    limbs came down on lines, cars needed icepicks
    just to break the ice on the door edges,
    and one made better time using ice skates than
    any other mode of transportation.

But good luck, if nothing else, you may meet
    some interesting people with a truckload of
    hives and a balky transmission in need of
    repair! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim, I've been doing this trip for about 15 years now. I have met some interesting people. Mostly enjoyable ones and some very helpful ones.

What's that line from A Streetcar Named Desire? Blanch Dubois says, "I have relied on the kindness of strangers." and who said,"A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet."?

So, I have found interesting people all up and down Rt. 95 and 81, over the years.

And some really fine folks in SC. Some of the most kind and cordial folks that there ever were. That good ole Southern Hospitallity is alive and well and is no stereotype but reality.

So, I hope to see you sometime, along the way.

I would be attending the SC meeting but, I'll be in GA. My son is graduating from Army Boot Camp and I ain't gonna miss that one, no way, no how. But, then again, I've heard that if you want to hear GOD laugh just tell me what you are going to do tomorrow. So, we'll see.

Y'all better stay with us,(as my NC mountain friend used to say),

sqkcrk sezs:
    who said,"A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet."?

tucumseh wonders:
    sure sounds like will rogers. opps am I dating myself again?

Yeah t. that's who I thought of but couldn't think of his name.

Dating yourself? Isn't that a sin? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ February 11, 2006, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: sqkcrk ][/size]

{And some really fine folks in SC. Some of the most kind and cordial folks that there ever were. That good ole Southern Hospitallity is alive and well and is no stereotype but reality.}

This is so true, the level of respect and genuine friendly-ness I expeirance in SC should be a model for the rest of the nation! When I walk into anywhere there it is like walking into a room of people I've known for years. I miss it when I leave!