I have a hive that I have 4 hive bodies on. It is full of bees,brood and honey. Do I split the bees and brood and let them make a new queen or add a new one? Wait until the honeyflow is over and then split? Just keep adding supers on top? What would you do with this hive?

>I have a hive that I have 4 hive bodies on. It is full of bees,brood and honey. Do I split the bees and brood and let them make a new queen or add a new one? Wait until the honeyflow is over and then split? Just keep adding supers on top? What would you do with this hive?

What do you want to end up with?

Just before the honey flow, I think I'd put all the open brood except one frame in a new location with the old queen. One frame of open brood and all the capped brood in the old location. Most of the honey and pollen in the new location and let the old location raise a new queen. That way you'll get a new queen, maximize the honey harvest and raise a queen at a time that will actually increase your honey instead of costing you honey. Since the old hive is not haveing to care for open brood there are lots of foragers and no nurse duties.

The old hive won't swarm because it's queenless. Even after the new queen is mated it won't swarm until there is a healthy brood nest.

The new hive won't swarm because there are not enough foragers and no capped brood.

Then after the flow ends, if you only want one hive, you can recombine after the honey flow or if you want two leave them seperate.

It's all in the timing.

Our honey flow has begun. I had thought about pulling 9 frames of brood and placing it in another hive and letting them make their own queen and take out five more frames in the next brood box to make a nuc.
    Since our flow has already begun should I wait or go ahead and tear this hive apart. I have 5 very productive hives and 5 (this year) hives.

If you want a split now is a fine enough time to do it. Do you want to end up with another hive?

I already said how I'd do it. It will maximize foragers in one hive for a good yeild, maxmize brood in the other to get the population of it up and get a new queen out of the deal too.