Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hornet swatter-another good reason we need a guest worker program!

>>Maybe you can get some high school kid to do it cheap.

>Hey...that's not cool....

It's pretty hard to find a middle aged man to do it cheap. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>It's pretty hard to find a middle aged man to do it cheap.

well, get one of these old people that are antique..like Bjorn...or somethin...*ducks*
    Once again, opinion of a high school kid.

Hmm. Just guessing but I'd guess an antique like Bjorn is pretty expensive...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That is a possibility..what's the saying..one in a million? Thank goodness for small blessings.

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Isn't the solution simple? Just cut up a queen excluder and place it in the hive entrance. The hornets would be too big to get inside.
    Happiness comes from within

No need to cut them up. You can buy those entrance excluders already:

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=675

I thinks a see a movie here. Japanese Hornets vs AHB. It would be like Godzilla vs King Kong.

These wasps range thoughout Asia, overlapping the natural range of the European honeybee. There are genetically resistant Apis cerana and Apis mellifera. The latter of these might be used to breed resistance into cultivated honeybees. Entrance screens do sound pretty workable, though.

Scary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you fall for the dramatic music and horror film like narration.

Personally those giant hornets don't worry me, AHB would kick their arse.

Y'all really believe that garbage on the Discovery Channel? They are always putting some kind of lies on there. I just don't believe it.

Ugh I believe it...its hard to get past the music and narration, yeah...but if there are hired hive guards, there's a reason for em. Oh and Fat Nancy, there are "tennis rackets" now that are electric bug zappers. See the mosquito around your head? Take a swipe and he sizzles and smokes LOL...might dispatch the wasps a bit faster.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

Hey guys! I got some good news about this little...upset if you will. Everyone has failed to mention the honey bee from Asia that can kill this hornet, or maybe no one has seen it. I'm not sure where there is a link to it, but I saw it on the show they did. This breed of honey bees can kill the hornet, basically by destorying the Scout Hornet before it can return to the others.

The bees have the usual guard bees out front, like normal, and once they spot the wasp, they waggle their tail to attract the wasp. The wasp gets sidetracked and goes into the hive. The bees lure the wasp deep in the hive, and this is where it gets interesting.

The wasp can only withstand 114 degree temperature, and the bees can withstand 117.

Once the bees have lured the wasp into the hive, they swarm around the wasp, which looks like when they ball a queen, and they all begin to waggle their tails, which generates a bunch of heat. The area that the bees are at increases in temperature to 116 degrees, and fries the scout wasp. Thus, preventing him from telling the other wasp.

This was a wicked little display of the bees intellgence, just thought i'd give a little enlightenment to the gloomy view of this situation.

>Y'all really believe that garbage on the Discovery Channel? They are always putting some kind of lies on there. I just don't believe it.

A few weeks ago, they had a piece on AHB (called killer bees throughout), and how they send out swarms, which "are much deadlier, because they are more mobile and can pursue people easier".
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12