Hybrid View

I am toying with a couple of ideas and I am looking for advice or lessons learned.

1) Many of my customers want to pay with plastic and I'm not sure what the easiest method of setting this up is.

2) I have developed a beta version of a new website for my business. I would like to set-up an easy storefront so that people could pay via credit card on-line (and I don't want to pay a developer since putting together a basic website is as easy as writing this post!)

So my questions are, is there something that will satisfy both pay with plastic scenarios? I know about Paypal's merchant tools and Yahoo's merchant storefronts, what else is out there? Does anyone else do any e-commerce?

Thanks for your help.
    Kurt

For security reasons most are not going to do Paypal. The best thing to do is contact one of the credit card companies to get advice. Even though a lot of people use paypal its is getting to be the way of not doing secure e-commerce. I deal with this on a large scale. It is going to be hard to do for free. I mean you are asking someone to give you thier credit card info without any way of them knowing who you are. It is best to ask a card vendor the best was to do this via their preference.

>For security reasons most are not going to do Paypal. The best thing to do is contact one of the credit card companies to get advice.It is best to ask a card vendor the best was to do this via their preference.< Paypal does MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars of e-commerce traffic per year, so I'm not sure why you would say people won't use it? They have had their issues with hackers for sure.

Credit cards (Mastercard, visa, Amex) are all assessable thorugh all merchant software programs like paypal, Microsoft bCentral, Yahoo Merchant... the list goes on.

>I deal with this on a large scale.<
    ...and your solution is? What is your website?

>It is going to be hard to do for free.<
    Nothing is free. All of the merchant software is either a monthly fee or pay per transaction. I was reffering to the web development which anyone can do with the above mentioned merchant software programs and a WISWYG HTML editor like MS frontpage or Dreamweaver.

>I mean you are asking someone to give you thier credit card info without any way of them knowing who you are.<

Right, I agree, but that is the defintion of e-commerce right? In theory, the merchant sofeware companies verify that you indeed are a legimate business when you activate the account by asking for your Tax ID, etc.

I will never use a credit/debit card with paypal again. I lost $380 because of them. My debit card was not insured against fraud. My account was over drawn over $1200 but alot of the transactions got stopped. They are not secure. The only solution I know of is inlist with a credit card reciever. These companies take all major cards and many allow you to do instant checks. I know of a few people at the fleamarket that have the machines.

Paypal seems to have some problems with security and it is not a direct credit card to bank account transfer, which is problematic at best.

Does anyone have any experience with something else say something like Dydacomp with their SiteLink manager? I know that Betterbee uses this e-commerce software but it's a bit out of my mom-and-pop league.

You might try earthstores.com. Here's a link to there merchant account page.
    http://home.earthstores.com/merchantaccount.htm

I don't have any experience with them, just that they are there. Good luck.

I understand you feelings about wanting to to e-commerce. The company I work for and represent is really not the issue or a statement that for security and legal concerns could be made. All I am trying to let you know is that all thought there a many outfits such as paypal out there it would be more benificial that you call a credit card vendor for their advice. As for paypal, they have thier own well documented issue with sevice and hackers. The above information and the previous post was ment as what it was, a personal view from personal and professional experience. Paypal has done wonderful for most small companies but there are other alternatives.

Look at dotster.com , I think they offer a transaction service as part of hosting.