Default Triangular escape board

Will these work in the summer? I usually wait until fall and just lift off what I want, the local bears got a few and if I want some I better get them now. My hives are big 3 deep 2 meds with a heavy population and completely bearded, I think the 4 hives and 2 nucs the bears got joined the remaining 3??? Anyway I cant see them leaving the supers just because I put an escape board on. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Triangular escape board

They work just fine whenever you want bees to shift out of the supers temporarily. I use them in any season if I want to OAV a colony that has honey on it. In that instance they go on the night before and are taken off by noon the next day.

But whenever they are on the colony, the bees aren't working the honey. If I wanted to remove a few frames of capped at a time (and I often do) I would just do that. You need a secure but easy to open dump box.

My only issue with escape boards is operator cluelessness: I finally had to write labels on mine so I could always get them going the right way: hole side = bees go in, and triangle side = bees go out. Duh!

Enj.

I use triangular boards all the time they do work better in the cooler weather If there is brood in the super they will not leave that frame. When vaporized I put them on to clear my honey supers put them on the day before the next morning pull the super then put a piece of tape over the opening and treat, pull the escape and put my super back on. I just did this over the last 3 weeks and it was hot it cleared almost all bees out every time

They will usually leave the supers to join the queen right portion of the hive. TEB's work better when overnight temps drop - for me, usually into the 50's (*f). I've never tried with higher temps - like summertime 60's or higher. There's only one way to find out...
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

A cotton ball with a squirt of fishers bee quick places on the top bar of the top super expedites and results in a more thorough evacuation.
    Last edited by Tenbears; 08-09-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo