Arrow

I might be moving to the dc area in a year and I might move to Europe five years after that. Question is- Would it be better to start from scratch in each location and sell my equipment in the place that I leave? What are regulations like regarding the importation of used equipment?

>Question is- Would it be better to start from scratch in each location and sell my equipment in the place that I leave? What are regulations like regarding the importation of used equipment?

Each state has it's own laws. Some require an inspection by the officials in the state you are leaving from and if no one asks for it you don't have to worry about it after that. After you get there some states require registering your hives. A few states actually require inspection when you enter that state.

If it's only a few hives, and you have a pickup truck they are not difficult to move. You just have to anchor them together well and anchor them so they don't slide around and drive carefully.

Europe is not worth moving them to. I'd sell them and start from scratch there.

Transportation from one state to another is pretty easy and may just require the bees/equiptment be inspected.

Shipping bees or used equiptment probably won't be an option. Most (all?) won't allow bees and probably not used equiptment either. Even canada won't allow either. (Though I think that may be changing or already has).

-Tim

The presence of the SHB makes a huge difference to their portability. I know that in Virginia hives known to contain SHB are quarantined and not permitted to be moved more than a few miles from their original location. Not completely sure on laws regarding transportation of infected hives...probably not something you want to deal with. See it as a perfect opportunity to rid yourself of those darn beetles. Start new and be VERY careful when buying new package bees.

BILLY BOB Guest

I would check the laws in Va/DC, before I loaded them up. It might be easier to start over. With the way the laws are changing they may or may not want your hives in the state if they have SHB or any other critters in them.

As far as overseas yeah I agree with Micheal. Be easier to sell and start over.

jfischer Guest

Get a bee inspector to inspect your hives
    in Georgia, and his/her approval should
    be all you need for the approval of the
    MD/VA people. The various bee inspectors certainly know each other, and each trusts the other to do a good job.

Forget about taking bees with you to
    Europe. Live bees on comb are simply
    "too much risk" for the national
    authorities. Sell your hives before
    you go to Europe. Even used beekeeping
    equipment like woodenware is hard to
    move across international borders due
    to the fear of AFB et al.

jim

GAbee,

If you are considering Maryland for your residence in the DC area here is the Maryland statute re: honey bees. It appears you would need a recent inspection from GA to apply for an entry permit. Annual registrations after that.

If I can bee of any help please e-mail me;
    BillKP71@aol.com

Good luck,
    Bill

Sorry, I think I forgot to paste the url into my previous post. I apologize for the duplication if I didn't,
    http://iaa.umd.edu/mdbee/State/MdBeeLaw.html

I have a few years experience working with the customs police American and German. M.B. is right you will have more problems than its worth. If the equipment gets out of the states it may be denied entry into Europe and you will incure all costs of disposal. Much more expensive here.

MIKI- How expensive is equipment in Germany?
    Are there sources for bees readily available?

GAbee,
    Equipment prices are comprable to the states. Depending where you are availability of bees and equipment will depend on the mail. I have found a supplier in Switzerland and one way up north Germany. I will be able to tell you much more after I attend my first meeting with the local bee keepers asso. on 30 Nov. Keep in touch and I will pass everything I learn. Also in 5 years I should be in good enough shape to give you bees I even plan to build all my own hives.

MIKI, Sounds like a deal... I'll let you know in 5.