What are the issues about removal of a swarm lure from a bait box(Hive body with frames) once you capture a swarm? Will leaving the lure in for a few days until the swarm adjust to their new home cause any problems? I am afraid to go digging around before they decide 'this is our home'.

I think it's better to leave it in all around. It makes them feel more at home and less likely to abscond and you don't have to disrupt them. I often use one when I have a package that won't settle in and are acting like they will abscond (clustering outside on the hive etc.) The Nasonove pheromone will draw them back in. Lemongrass oil will do the same and so will a dash of lemon pledge. But the lemongrass oil will last longer.

I only have 2 lures, so after the swarm is inside, and I am positive that I have the queen, I slip a queen excluder (includer) under the hive and remove the lure. I leave the includer in place until they are raising brood well. I can't imagine anything keeping a swarm from ascombing better than an includer.

>I can't imagine anything keeping a swarm from ascombing better than an includer.

One thing comes to mind, I add a frame of brood, they never abscond when I do that.

I was catching a swarm from under a bush today when I got a call from work that my appointment was there and I was not. So I left my swarm box pushed up next to the bush with a swarm lure in it and went back to work. A couple of hours later I went back to pick up the swarm and box and found the swarm in quite a buzz flying about and grouping on the outside of the box. There was a small cluster inside and a lot of fanning in all diferent directions.

I kept scooping them in and they kept coming back out even though the queen was inside. There was also fighting bees on the top of the lid. I dedided that they were confused with the extra scent and I removed the lure and they calmed down and began to file inside. After about fifteen minutes all but a few were in and ready to go.

That's odd. Almost like the scent got them attracted to it and then confused them.