Help !, I am desperately trying to locate a source for food grade paint to paint my galvanized extractor, and every paint store I have tried is unable to help. They can supply paint for "incidental food contact" but say its unsuitable for the extractor.
    Any product names or sources for the paint anyone can help me with would sure be appreciated.

Desperate in Alberta

Bryan

Walter T. Kelly cat. no. 353 Plastic Coating. It doesn't seem to be in their online catalog. You'll probably have to call. 1-800-233-2899. It is manufactured by "Cambridge Coatings Paints" and is listed as "An Epoxy-- a clear varnish-like liquid that adheres to metal, masonry, glas, plastics, etc. and has high chemical abrasion and water resistance. It cures over a period of seven days by chemical reation to produce a lining with all the advantages of baked-on enamel. new tanks should be washed clean with 50% vinegar and water solution and allowed to thoroughly dry before applying. Fine for extractor reels, baskets, etc. Apply with a brush or spray. Gallon covers about 500 square feet. Available in quarts only"

Brushy Mt. Bee Farm. Cat. No. 615. Same product. http://www.beeequipment.com/search.asp and search for product code 615.

For my top feeders I used an epoxy paint intended for refinishing sinks and tubs. I suspect it's similar to what Michael mentioned and may be cheaper.

Dickm

i've heard that linseed oil works well.

i'd like to add a disclaimer to the above post,i've never tried it myself so can't be sure it's good advice.

You might want to research that. I'm not sure if linseed oil is safe on food containers.

Linseed oil doesnt sound Kosher to me for honey processing.If you are eating the honey or giving it away,I wouldnt be worried about galvanised,I'll bet a great amount of the honey imported into the US went through galvanized or worse.If you are going to sell it you really should invest in stainless steel equipment.With honey prices still up it is a good time to upgrade.
    The cambridge coating looks kind of like varnish and it takes a long time for the smell to go away,and will eventually flake off(I used it in past years).The AI Root Co. used to sell a white epoxy coating that was probably better but I dont know if they still do.

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited July 16, 2003).]