Thread: SAF Extractor

I am considering purchasing am motor driven SAF extractor from Brushy Mtn. Before I do, I thought that I would see if there is a consensus on the quality and serviceability of these Italian made extractors? I would also appreciate any info on a web site (or other info) for SAF. Thanks, cj

Thumbs down

Are you looking at stock #831 It is the motorized version of the 802. I bought the # 802 9 frame radial extractor this year and just went by the picture and the ad. It works but it is not what I would call" first quality". The basket is made of some type of hard abs plastic. The "steel helical gear drive box" may have steel gears but the box is made of some type of hard abs plastic the "lockout hand crank" unlocks while you are cranking and must be taped down to avoid this. all the hardware is metric and the handle either gets to tight and binds or it unscrews and falls off; get a metric nylex nut and this will be ok. Also it seems when you extract radially It takes much longer so you must have a motor drive or go back to the old 2 frame jobber or you will have arms like popeye the sailor. But it works and after 9 supers I have had to remove the top plexiglass covers to avoid losing what little religon I have, loading it. Nothing about the 802 is "very heavy duty". The motorized extractor would be better. You can uncap while it is spining. But I have been doing electrical work 31 years of my 43 years and most of the electrical iec euro junk I have seen does not hold up and that fact is fine if you are over there but over here you will not find parts and you will end up scraping the whole thing because you can't find a prox switch or a motor for the thing and It will cost to much to rework it with the right stuff. The honey gate is plastic and it leaks out the side if it is not tight enough and if you tighten it then it is hard to operate. I bought cheap and now I am looking to the next extractor possibly the maxant m3100l or m1400l If it is American made; whatever I buy it will be all American and all stainless steel with a metal gear box and parts you can find at a local hardware store. "If it seems to good " thats my story

[This message has been edited by James Urbish (edited July 04, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by James Urbish (edited July 04, 2003).]

I've seen the pictures and now heard a description. It sounds just like the 9/18 Radial from Mann Lake. It has the plastic baskets and a clear plastic lid and I think a plastic housing on the gear box. It is very durable plastic, not brittle or soft. I've had mine a few years and have gotten excellent service from it. Mine is the powered version.

The 9-18 frame extractor from mann lake has a different motor setup from the 831 and the fact that it is bigger makes it faster to load due to the opening size . they may both be made by the same company. What I wanted to say about the 802 extractor and thus the powered version #831 is that instead of the ad saying "first quality- very heavy duty" It should have said "medium quality unit priced to get you into a light duty 9 frame extractor" or " will work fine unless the plastic gear box pukes out the steel gears" I should have looked a lot harder before I bought. Anyone looking for a used extractor!!!!!!!!Just like old man Harrell said about my first 1/2 ton truck 77 gmc stepside "Baby Load that truck until the bumper is on the ground and then load the whole thing on my 3/4 ton {67 ford} truck and i'll carry it all day" and he was right...