Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Big Grin

I have a friend who tried this and it seems to work for him. He took some thin pieces of plywood and took a staple gun and shot it clean full of long dagger like staples turned it upside down and put it in front of his hives seems to me like it is the same as the carpet tack idea just bigger. I also feel that the best thing a skunk can be used for is fertilizing my tomatoes.

The problem with trapping, driving 10 miles and releasing is that now you have moved the problem to another area. Suppose you have hives there in the forest where this beekeeper took the skunk? Kinda makes your day don't it? Suppose the skunk is sick? No you have brought the disease to that new area. Where will the skunk live? It now has to try to reestablish a territory, sort of like a new dog in the block. It will get beat up by other skunks.
    No best just to shoot them and get it over with. Sorry at being so blunt. Besides if DEC, forest rangers, sheriff, state police catch you with transporting the skunk you will be in big trouble.
    Dan

At one of my yards, the land owner has been trapping skunks by my hives for 10 years now. He gets between 10 & 20 a year.
    What he does is makes a 8 foot tunnel out of three strips of plywood (1' x 8'). He baits it with cat food and leg hold traps.
    Most of the spray is kept in the tunnel. He just flips over the tunnel and a .22 between the eyes. Sure wish he would go to all my yards
    The bees are sure more nasty when a family of critters is always scratching at the door!!

Skunks are east to trap with leg hol traps.
    I usually use two long boards to make a funnel type pattern on ground or next to building. set trap couple of leg hold traps(#2 victor) in opening, no need to conceal very well and usually catch them the first night. I usually shoot them with 22 and they still spray a little while there nerves are kicking. I have used a club about the size of a bat and it did not spray. only one that never sprayed. i have trapped and killed probably 50-75 next to chicken houses.

Mythbusters a tv show that tries different urban legends proved tomatoe juice and the hydrogen peroxide forumals work and the myth about using beer does not work. So if sprayed get the jars of mater juice out or the hydrogen peroxide.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234