Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, the egg thing works for the possum also.....

I've never seen cats bother or eat raw eggs....

Greetings,

Since last year I've had to stop working on my skunk skin coat. I figured it was just to dangerous to wear with all those anti-skunk sentiments expressed by most of the beekeepers.

I'm worried about all that skunk scent that used as a carrier for lots of the perfumes. Some beekeepers may inadvertantly swerve a bee truck and put some woman at risk if the wind is just right. But this is only a guess.

Right now I'm in a real moral delima. Is neutering a cat more human that eliminating a problem skunk? I think I know what the cat would say and it I don't think it would sound very good to the skunk:> ))))

Anyway, this is giving me a headache. Luckily I always carry a bottle of aspirin in the truck for such occasions.

Regards
    Dennis
    I've got it. Lets neuter the skunk!

Wink

I think the neutering is a great idea!! Safe Humane and doesnt kill the skunk!! FUTHERMORE I VOLUNTEER JREECE to hold him legs while he is castrated!!!!!

I like it. How many aspirins to kill a bear?

>The point is there are many ways to deal >with skunks. The lazy way of putting >aspirin in eggs and poisoning them is cruel.
    >If you can't deal with them humanely then >call someone who can.

Wow.

Wow.

...wow.

How about mouse traps? We should ban these evil things.

Why stop there?

Let us burn our fly swatters and let's invite the mites over for a feast.

>I like it. How many aspirins to kill a bear?
    Around 4200 bottles.

Question

Hi ..I'm not into Bee's ....but I have a huge skunk problem,,,they are digging my yard to hell...I've tried to catch them the last two weeks, but no good ....what can I do to get rid of them....for ever ..my dogs have been sprayed 2 times now....what do you do with the asprins..and eggs....I need help....

Three crushed asprin mixed into one raw egg left where the skunks are feeding. It could kill a cat, but cats usually don't show so much interest in eating eggs as skunks and dogs do. It shouldn't hurt the dogs, but of course, it won't do a lot of good against the skunks if the dogs eat the egg.

A Havahart trap with a raw egg can be useful too. But then you have to decide what to do with the skunk.

Never had a skunk that was able to do more than just scatch at the hive, mine are about 12" off the ground except those I have on trailers, they do however eat Yellow Jacket and Bumble Bees, this is a good thing. So if you look hard enough you can find something good in everything.

Cougar Bob the skunks are digging up grub worms . Go to WalMart and buy a hose end sprayer to apply Sevin . This will kill the grubs the skunks are after without harm to the worms . Short of that other skunks will follow to replace the ones killed .

Drifter

------------------
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

wow,

this thread has been blown completely out of proportion.

Your best option: Get rid of the skunk, it is after all a catagory of varmint.

If you want to be humane: get a havahart trap, a can of tuna (opened of course), trap the varmint, place the trapped varmint in the back of your truck and drive 10 miles to the state forest ande let go.

If you want to be non-humane, effecient and get the problem rectified asap: get your .22, can of opened tuna, and hang out near your hive one evening and shoot the rascal.

-cheers

jfischer Guest

I just noticed this thread in the "new postings today" list.

What I do is to attach strips of carpet tacking
    to the front edge of each landing board or face
    of the hive just below the entrance. The
    critters learn to not poke at the hives, but
    they can catch a pant leg if you are not careful.

Another thing I do is to take my dog along
    with me. He "marks" the area, and critters
    tend to stay away as a result. I'm a decent
    tracker, so I can verify that critters tend
    to go around rather than in my bee yards.

My preference is to avoid killing any of
    God's creatures, so I like non-lethal
    approaches.

You all have skunk insight. I think I qualify for a comment.
    First. Clinton Bemrose told me that he staples a 6" piece of hardware cloth as an extension to the bottom board. The skunks don't like the unstability of it when they lean on it. Elegant,no?
    I used to trap skunks for the pelts as a boy. I never saw one shot that didn't spray. I'd put the stinky rascal in a brook for half a day to carry some of the odor away.
    A skunk doesn't have to turn around to hit you. He can spray (the armament is on the hind end),over his shoulder, while looking you in the eye.
    Clothes that have been sprayed can be treated with tomato sauce and tied in that same brook overnight. Then they can be safely buried forever.
    Last. There's a tale that if you pick a skunk up by the tail, he cant spray you. Throws his squirter out of gear or something. Let me tell you a little about that. My next door neighbor had a skunk in a cage that he was feeding. I assumed it was a pet and therefore had been surgically disarmed. (This is a good spot to say, "never assume"!)Well my kids let this animal out. I felt that it was my responsibility to re-cage him. Herding didn't work well. When I saw my chance I snagged him by the tail. For a brief interval he didn't spray me. Nobody told me that you should hold your prisoner out at arms length. He curled himself up on his tail like a monkey, caught a claw into my pants and pulled himself up. Then he bit my finger through to the bone. That was the best thing that happened. Apparently my assumptions about surgery were incorrect. I was burying clothes that night. My children were afraid to be in the same room with me! I didn't like it much either.
    The worst part of the day was when I told my neighbor about it. He said,"If you'd just left him alone he'd have gone back by himself".
    If you try this scenario,and you do hold to the arms length rule, I suggest you
    give some thought to how you are going to set this bomb down again. Don't expect gratitude. I have a picure of some one swinging a skunk around thier head and letting fly. Might make a good anti-terrorist weapon for clearing buildings. Sort of a military Bee-quick. Thanks for reading.

dickm

On the light side of this serious subject ... I agree with Luke "forget about it " with a skunk harrassing my bees I called my cousin Vinny from Baltimore...for a price he brought his ice pick and camped on my hives ...around 11;30 pm there was a heck of a noise out back as the dust settled I went with flashlight in hand and there was Vinny in a pile exhausted and hurting it seems the skunk had sprayed him and he had mistakenly stuck the pick in his thigh ...the skunk got away and the hospital wouldnt let Vinny in because he stunk so bad ( neither would my wife let him in the house) so I patched him up and sent him back to Baltimore ....all in all ..."Forget about it "....Rick

LOL;

Without reading three pages of posts, let me comment:

I have trapped and shot perhaps 30 or so skunks here in the past three years and not one has sprayed.

If in a havahart type trap I approach carefully with a split-open large black garbage bag in front of me so that the skunk cannot see me. When that bag is draped over the trap I lift it carefully and put it inside another such bag. I then move the trap wherever I want, open it carefully and shoot the skunk.

If the skunk is in a leghold trap (which I only use in outlying areas where an accident will cause no problems) I simply shoot the skunk and then get my trap.

The secret is the shot; I use a shotgun with #8 or #6 shot at about l0 yards. A solid hit shocks the skunk so that it is all over. He may leak a bit, but he will not spray.

Now; If you ARE sprayed, mix two quarts of water, a teaspoon of dish soap (joy, dawn, etc) and a quart of hydrogen peroxide. Wash with that and the scent is instantly gone. Works on pets, clothes, furniture, patios, etc. There are a couple of these hydrogen peroxide forumlas on the net; they work. I've had to bathe my stupid dog with them.
    \Ox

Sounds good. I'm wondering why a skunk would spray a human(unless he looked shifty), and not spray a 6' garbage bag trying to sneak up on him.

Dickm

ever since I started working my hive atop two pallets, I have had very little skunk problem. I suppose it exposess their belly more and tneds to deter them from the hive. Before I went to pallets, I had hives/yards completely decimated by the little bastards

Ian

I still find that carpet tack strips on the landing board are the best deterent to skunks and they are less labor intensive than waiting for the dirty rotten skunk to come around.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan
    Beekeeping sence 1964

rocky ridge bees Guest

Angry

we talked about skunksat our last meeting . some one said to put hardware wire in front of hive, most skunks think its a trap. my wife went out late tonight and a large skunk,got angry at the gulf cart .he missed thank God. but hes on my s#*t list.time to go to work

LOL;
    Hits and Misses:

I don't know why, but skunks do not seem to see garbage bags as threatening, but I am careful to stay completely concealed behind the bag when handling skunks.

Remember the dish soap, water and hydrogen peroxide skunk cure; it works.

Hooeee! I just went back and read a bit of this thread. I did not know that the aspirin eggs would kill cats. Hot dog, now I get twofers!!! I am eat up by neighbors stray cats killing chicks, rabbits, quail and songbirds.
    Ox
    Ox

[This message has been edited by Oxankle (edited October 24, 2004).]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast