Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Basicaly the cats don't eat the eggs. The skunks do and they die. The dogs do and don't even notice the asprin. Any other poison that I know of would be a threat to other creatures not involved. It is the most specific method I know of to get the culprit.

Of course, as I said, I just closed up the bottoms and went to top entrances instead.

Getting a clear shot at a skunk, for me, is problematic. The horses are to the west, my house is to the north west, my neighbors house is to the north. The road is to the east and there is nothing to stop a bullet to the south, so I don't know how far it will go. I have gotten a shot at one, but only when the dog cornered it in the chicken house after it ate parts of several chickens. That shot was almost straight down.

I live in a predominantly Omish. Menanite community. there are cats all over the place around here. The male cat that was bit by the skunk was impossible to keep in the house. We tried to keep him in short of locking him in a closet. He'd always find a way out.
    I dont think he would have messed with any of my neighbors animals. Although I did see a commercial with a cat chassing a bull. Maybe that one gave him the courage to try out some beef cattle.

"We had a Rabbid skunk recently bite one of our cats causing us to have him put to sleep. I quickly trapped, shot and burried 3 feet under."

Did you have the skunk tested for rabies, or are you guessing? A lot of diseases have the same symptoms of rabies. So if you did not have the skunk actually tested for rabies you may have killed your cat for no reason. Not to mention a skunk, or any animal actually dying of rabies, is awful hard to trap in a live trap.

How do you know it was the same exact skunk that bit your cat. Did you see it bite your cat? Did you never loose sight of the skunk until it went into the trap? Then why did you go through the hassle of trapping it, why didn't you just shoot it?

"The male cat that was bit by the skunk was impossible to keep in the house. We tried to keep him in short of locking him in a closet"

Was your cat neutered? Neutering tends to keep them in the house, if not around the house a bit more. And if he was vaccinated for rabies you could have quarantined him for, I believe it is six months, instead of having him put to sleep.

Although not having the cat neutered, or vaccinated, and not quarantining the cat and instead just having it put to sleep, and not shooting the skunk in the side and having it tested for rabies is the "lazy" way out of it.

But,

"If you can live with yourself being that cruel to an animal more power to ya"

Cause if it was my cat, although I keep all mine securely in the house, altered and vaccinated, I think I would have done it differently.

[This message has been edited by Rooster4473 (edited August 16, 2004).]

"Did you have the skunk tested for rabies, or are you guessing?

The cat tested possitive. I have not seen another skunk since the incident happend.

"Was your cat neutered?"

Yes

"Although not having the cat neutered, or vaccinated, and not quarantining the cat and instead just having it put to sleep, and not shooting the skunk in the side and having it tested for rabies is the "lazy" way out of it."

Thats alot to assume

"Cause if it was my cat, although I keep all mine securely in the house, altered and vaccinated, I think I would have done it differently."

It Wasn't your cat. So how do you know what you would do. When you take your cat who cant walk a straight line and is obviously very confused and the vet tells you he has rabies 4 days after being in a fight with a skunk you really dont have much options at that point.
    The cat was vaccinated for rabies at 6 weeks and 6 months. He was also fixed.

Neutering a cat doesn't make them not want to go outside in my experience. They are either a cat that wants out or one that doesn't. This one wanted out to the extent that he would tear screens down to do so.

"The point is there are many ways to deal with skunks".

Hi JReece, Well M. Reece, I don't know of any other way to deal with em here. I don't shoot guns, and even if I did, the skunks don't make appointments with me.

I have other animals on the place, and they are our pets. I will not set traps.

And I haven't finished making my bow and arrows yet.

Cats should not be let outdoors. They kill the songbirds.

Thanks Rooster... Truely it ain't nobodies business. But we're here to share our experiences.

Last I looked, skunks were not on the endangered list.

Actualy where you are, spotted skunks are on the endangered list.

Exclamation

If they start to bother my hives, they really are on the endangered list!

Arrow

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/PDF/EnvS...spotdskunk.pdf
    http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/spilgrac.htm

Well All I have to say is the skunk really becomes endangered if I find it destroying or hurting my live stock, bees, chickens, dogs, etc. Federal law allows a person (farmer) to use whatever means to protect his property and livestock from any animal attacking it. If the state wants to protect the critter then it had better dispatch a DEC person to come and get it otherwise the good lord will have it up in the pearly gates in a wink.
    Don't get me wrong I do not like killing animals but there are times you have to.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 17, 2004).]

Well the skunks round here are the stripped variety...

But it's been known for a long time that all pollenators are on the endangered species list...
    http://contaminants.fws.gov/Issues/Pollinators.cfm

And without the pollinators, we are *****

Sorry Barry.

We might be anyway.....

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited August 17, 2004).]

"I have not seen another skunk since the incident happend"

I highly doubt that that was the only skunk in your area, and you don't know for certain that that skunk had rabies unless it was tested. For all you know your cat got bit by a coon, and a bat, and another cat, etc.

"When you take your cat who cant walk a straight line and is obviously very confused and the vet tells you he has rabies 4 days after being in a fight with a skunk you really dont have much options at that point."

The time it takes for an animal to actually show signs of rabies, depending on where the bite is, usually takes much longer to surface then just four days, sometimes up to six months. Not to mention the ONLY way to positively diagnose rabies is to have the cat euthanized and have the head sent out so you can test the brain. There are other disease that have the same symptoms as "dumb rabies" -the staggering etc.- such as feline aids, feline leukemia, and feline distemper.

"the vet tells you he has rabies"
    "you really dont have much options at that point"

Unless your vet sent the cat out for testing he could not have looked at the animal and diagnosed rabies. Not to mention if the vet did diagnose the cat with rabies and DID NOT send the head out for testing to verify his diagnosis, the health department and, or the game comission would have had a fit cuz it was an indoor out door cat in close proximity to alot of people and who knows what, or who, your cat may have also infected.

"The cat was vaccinated for rabies at 6 weeks and 6 months."

Pennsylvania state law says that any cat that is not a barn cat (which means if it goes in the house at all) must be vaccinated at 3mos of age. If the vaccine is given prior to 3mos of age that it is worthless and is not effective. The first vaccine is good for only one year. The second vaccine can be good for up to 3yrs. So the vet that vaccinated your cat for rabies at 6wks and 6mos has no idea what he's doing. Even if he did get the vaccine at 6mos if he was over 1yr 6mos. the vaccine would be no good.

"It Wasn't your cat. So how do you know what you would do"

I know I don't let my cats go out side, so I'd never get my self into that situation.
    Basically what it comes down to is if you can't control a domestic cat I sure as heck hope you aren't raising teenagers.

"Last I looked, skunks were not on the endangered list."

No they aren't, and thats cool cus in the winter there's nothing I like more then trapping them just for their fur.

"Actualy where you are, spotted skunks are on the endangered list."

This a link to the US endangered species list. Funny, but I don't see the spotted skunk on it.
    http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/TESS...V&listings=0#A

dtwilliamson Guest

T0O EACH THEIR OWN...

[This message has been edited by dtwilliamson (edited August 17, 2004).]

Last I heard spotted skunks (civet cats) were considered endagered in Nebraska (by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commision) and are protected. But the variety I see around here are all the striped ones and they are not.

I dont know why Rooster feels the need to attack me. I only stated my feelings on the matter. I don't feel it just. but thats my opinion. I'm not going to hold a grudge against anyone for doing it. As Daisey said it's your choice.

Although Rooster, Rabies can show syptoms in as little as 3 days. Incubation periods differ from animal type. Generally incubation is 3-7 days although some casses have been reported of incubation periods of more than 1 year.

Speaking of civets,I was at a fur auction many years ago when a sorry little civet pelt came up for bid."75 cents is the high bid" yelled the auctioneer."Sold" hollered the trapper.Then the fur buyer jumped up and said "No-I mean YOU pay ME 75 cents to take it." With a grin the trapper walked over and paid the 75 cents.

Here is a better way to deal with problem skunks if you have the nerve LOL . Use a cage trap baited with the egg under the pan in a hole . Tap a hole into the top of the egg . this will let it forment and give the skunk a smell to follow .

This way you can choose what to do with what ever is caught . After you catch a skunk it comes time to deal with it . Walk upto the trap SLOWLY and if it becomes aggitated and starts stomping its foot keep your calm and back up a little while talking to it in a low voice . Cover it gently with an old blanket or towel . This helps to calm them .

Take cage skunk and all to a creek with enough depth to drown them . Put cage and all into the water slowly , most times they don't spray . If they do wait to pick up the trap until the oily film has disapeared . Dump it out and bury .

Drifter

Hello all!

Daisey: Hey there! How are you doing? I was intregied (sp?) when I read your post when you put the url link up there. I looked at it and I am not sure where it says that pollinators are on the endangered species list. I really do like the artical but can you point out to me where it says that?

Pollinators that are federally listed as endangered species.

Mammals:
    Sanborn's lesser long-nosed bat (Leptonycteris curasoae yerbabuenae), Mexican or big long-nosed bat (Leptonycteris nivalis)
    Birds:
    Kirtland's warbler (Dendroica kirtlandii), Golden-cheeked warbler (Dendroica chrysoparia), Nukupu'u (honeycreeper) (Hemignathus lucidus), Hawaii Akepa (honeycreeper) (Loxops coccineus coccineus), Maui Akepa (honeycreeper) (L.c. ochraceus), Po'ouli (honeycreeper) (Melamprosops phaeosoma), O'u (honeycreeper) (Psittirostra psittacea), Kauai Oo (Moho braccatus), Palila (Loxioides bailleui), Maui parrotbill (Pseudonestor xanthophyrs), Laysan finch (Telespiza cantans), Nihoa finch (Telespiza ultima), Hawaiian crow (='alala) (Corvus hawaiiensis)

[This message has been edited by JReece (edited August 21, 2004).]

issac, honeybees are not on the list of endangered species, but pollinators in general are in severe decline due to the harsh environment caused by sprawl, pollution, and poisons in the air ground and water...

It's not that difficult to understand the problems that this will create...

Just use the words, pollinators and endagered on the google search engine to surf the web for more information...

Skunks might be food for something but they don't represent food, humans depend on, by any calculated means.

Wink

Interesting discussion. About time I join in. Cats do eat eggs. I have seen them raid a chicken nest. One sweep of the paw and the top of the egg is off. Lunch time. Of course, when I see a cat do that she doesn't see the sun set again.
    Skunk pestered bees are mean.
    When a skunk pesters my bees it doesn't see the sun rise twice. Same goes for a possum. I wonder if the egg thing would work on possum. I know a 22 caliber lead pellet does. Quick and humane. More humane then mad bees are to me. Planted skunks next to a tomato plant makes the tomatoes grow. Lets just call it a way to recycle nasty criters.

------------------
    Erwin