Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

After noticing a significant drop-off of my hives population I noticed the feces near my hive with bee parts in them. I tried to block all means of entry to my yard but every time I sealed one hole the skunk would dig somewhere else. I scanned this forum and left two eggs with two aspirins in each out last night. This morning one of them was eaten and the other untouched. Should I repeat this tonight or is one egg enough?

How many hives do you have? I'd make sure one was at each hive until you're sure they aren't coming back.

If that one was eaten, you can be sure, that one won't be back.

This is the only hive I keep at home. My other one is on a farm in another town.

What do the aspirens do ?

I would have done three asprins, but two will probably do. The asprins do the same thing that most mouse poison does now, thins their blood and causes them to bleed internally.

My experience is that skunks often travel in families. I'd leave some out for few more nights and see what happens.

Why kill the skunks? Seems a bit harsh to kill something that is only trying to get a meal.

Why not just lift your hives up higher so the skunk has to reach up and expose his belly so the bees can take care of it?

Skunks will devestate your hives. They eat a lot of bees. Moving a very tall hive higher isn't always very easy to do and is sometimes too tall to not blow over and too tall to reach.

I went to all top entrances because of the skunks. I just nailed the bottom entrances shut and they haven't bothered me since.

I honestly do not think killing the family of skunks that is eating your bees is going to disrupt the natural balance of things.

Not to mention, they carry all kind of parasites and diseases I wouldn't really want in my yard, especially where my dogs run and such.

My dog already got sprayed twice! Enough is enough. Now that it is after my bees forget about it!

I think it's a personal decision.

Aint nobody's business.

I couldn't stand the site of hundreds of bees squished into patties laying on the ground in front of their hives. I had to put out the eggs. I'll do it again if I have ta.

If you can live with yourself being that cruel to an animal more power to ya.
    I personally could not be the cause of any animal going through the torture of bleeding to death internally.

I agree. I just finished off my second skunk in my hive yard in as many weeks. Spraying my dogs, eating my bees, and to top it all off, this area is known for being heavily concentrated with rabies-ridden animals, skunks in particular. I once saw my Vietnam veteran neighbor get chased around his house in the daytime twice by a rabid skunk till he got inside to his shotgun and finished the nasty critter off. They will chase you down and bite you, I have seen them myself running around in the daytime.

Anyway I trapped them in a live animal trap then gave them a humane dose of fast acting lead poisoning. The second skunk was HUGE and left out quite a parting shot of smell. Gotta keep trapping as there may be more where they came from.

>If you can live with yourself being that cruel to an animal more power to ya.

And you think biting hundreds of bees apart while they are still alive isnt cruel?My job as a beekeeper is to PROTECT my bees from such viciousness.

The point is there are many ways to deal with skunks. The lazy way of putting aspirin in eggs and poisoning them is cruel.

If you can't deal with them humanely then call someone who can.

Just out of curiosity, can you explain how you or some one else would humanely deal with a skunk?

If any else, the egg by the hive is almost defenatelly targeting the animal that is there to eat the bees.

The use of a live trap with some cat food in it, or something of the like, has the ability to draw in other animals, an animal that probabbly would have not bothered the hive but can smell the stonger odor of a different bait. But seeing as though it was caught in the trap most people would have the assumption it would have been there for the bees, in the end you may end up catching and destroying the wrong culprit.

I am not sure where your hives are, but my hives are pretty close to my house, although I am surrounded by woods. I have four large dogs that usually alert me to anything out of te ordanary. If a skunk has to rely on my hive for food and come in that close to my home, maybe something is wrong, like it is ill and having a hard time forageing elsewhere. So maybe the egg would auctually a better death, who knows.

Hey Daisy, I want you to know you did have the best reply with "I think it's a personal decision. Aint nobody's business" But I just had to add my two cents.

People kill hundreds of millions of mice by this method every year (internal bleeding). How are they different from a skunk? I would guess all of the beekeepers in the country put together don't kill a 1000 skunks a year.

Big Grin

SSS Shoot,shovel,shutup

<If you can live with yourself being that cruel to an animal more power to ya.
    I personally could not be the cause of any animal going through the torture of bleeding to death internally>

Bleeding to death is not bad at all. Been close to it my self. You go numb and fall asleep. Now as a bee keeper and mite killer, oh wait you don't kill the mites, by using a pesticide or FGMO. Ah then there is the opening of the hive and taking out frames, don't hurt any bees doing that, or when you put them back or the boxes. We can slant inhumane any way you want from keeping bees as slaves and we the pips making them work for us to removing the old queen and giving them a new one at our discretion. Sure beats giving cat food with antifreeze in it. Now that is a painful death.
    Dan
    PS Now who are you going to call? DEC, they will tell you there is nothing they can do and moving them to another location is out of the question since they do not want to spred deseases. Killing becomes the only option or keep feeding them your bees.

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 16, 2004).]

"Just out of curiosity, can you explain how you or some one else would humanely deal with a skunk?"

We had a Rabbid skunk recently bite one of our cats causing us to have him put to sleep. I quickly trapped, shot and burried 3 feet under. No pain but same result.

"If any else, the egg by the hive is almost defenatelly targeting the animal that is there to eat the bees."

And what do you do when you see your neighbors cat eating the poisoned egg?

I agree that skunks can be a problem and sometimes have to be dealt with. I just don't agree with poisoning them.

Arrow

What in the world is the cat doing in my yard? I shoot them, you know, since they have killed 18 chicks on me already this year. If you want a domestic animal then you better take care of it yourself and keep it home. Besides cats don't eat eggs that I know of but they will eat cat food and meats.
    They also kill off quail, song birds, baby turkeys, etc. I have a cat and it stays in the house all the time. It has the full basement, and the upstairs, toys and such. Very happy and has no problems with my 20 Siberian huskies which by the way are penned up in two and a half acres of land with an electrified 6 foot fence. Like I said have a domestic animal better take care of it and not let it run around loose. May seem ok for you but what is your animal doing at the neighbors place? What is it killing or destroying. My boss make a compound for his cats, 8 of them. Used chicken wire and enclosed a 30' by 30' area with roof just for them to play in. Has a jungle jim and 'cat walks', bushes to hide and play in.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 16, 2004).]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast