I have a hive (2 deeps). I baited the super on this hive early spring. Then I placed the queen excluder under this baited super. I examined this hive the other day and noticed that the upper brood box under the excluder was full of honey. The bottom was pretty much open. They didn't look as though they were using the super so I removed the excluder hoping that they would move some honey up into the supers. If they don't move it up I am going to have to open it up. Any thoughts. Any suggestions. Thanks, Duane.

I suck at cutting/pasting etc. So I'm not fancy with the website links. Never had a need for it. But go into the search mode for this site and put in "Baiting", there are two links that were recent discussions that would be helpful. One was "baiting bees up" by Clayton.

what kind of foundation/frames are you using?! That can effect the situation. I hear that spraying the frames down with syrup works though never had to resort to this...also a hive top feeder with syrup works like a charm.

Hi,

Sounds as if you need to open up Getting bound). Move some honey frames up and a few foundations down (center). Skip the excluder.

Clay

I would like to move the frames up, but I have a delima. I am using deeps for brood and mediums for supers. What can I do with the deep frames of honey that I take out of the center of the brood and how many should I remove at this time? Should I continue pulling them out as they draw the comb out?
    Thanks, Duane.

You said the bottom box was empty? If you move the honey to the outside two or three frames of the bottom box that's a good place for them. It's where the bees would normally put honey. They NEED honey in the brood box, but they also need room for the queen to lay. If you run a third deep you'd have somewhere to put the honey. Or if you'd standardize on one size for supers and brood. You can always just pull it and give it to some hive that is struggling.

I'm assuming you only have one hive. If you have more than one, you can transfer a frame or two to the one they are having trouble with to try to get them to come up.

I would harvest the honey and put the frames back "wet". Unless you have alot of chemical in the brood chamber there is nothing wrong with the honey. They will then gather plenty before fall to fill their wintering needs. Hopefully they would fill this brood chamber with brood now and late August-Sept fill it back in with honey as brood area shrinks.