Big Grin

I'm working on getting a couple of outyards set up close to home (within 3 or 4 miles). But a friend with an apple orchard has asked me to set up some hives about a half hour drive from my home - a little farther than I'd prefer.

For those of you with outyards, is a half hour drive one-way reasonable, or too far? I'm thinking it would be more worthwhile if I had say 4 or more hives there, but it would still be close to an hour and a half round trip just for a quick inspection or to change syrup.

Thanks for your thoughts on this
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

Certainly can be worth it. If the flow there is good, more hives the better. Stack em' high....

Apples are over there, aren't they???

Depends on your situation, and how good of a potential location it may be. Other forage around after the apples are done blooming? Potential as a wintering location? Wouldn't be worth it for me as my smallest yards have 32 hives in them and my largest has 80.
    Gregg Stewart

What if you treat it like a pollination service. Let him hire you as a pollinator, that way you could cover some of your travel expense(time, gas, vehicle wear)

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I have a few yards that are within about 4 or 5 miles from my home / yard.
    I have one yard that is about 20 miles from home. I currently have 11 hives at this yard, but have had as few as 6.
    The fewer the hives the smaller the return on your expenses. You have to figure that you will have to visit the yard every 2 to 3 weeks during the season and only a few times over the winter once they are put to bed.
    What can help is having a few small yards on the route to the farthest yard. To spead out the costs, or like my yard is I travel by the area every week or so for work or shopping.
    I just combine activites.

I take much better care of the ones in my back yard than the ones 60 miles away.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I take much better care of the ones in my back yard than the ones 60 miles away

I would say it is just the opposite for me! take much better care the ones that are 120 miles away then the ones that are right around home here.
    AKA BEEMAN800

The closer the better. Unless the location is really a good one or you are getting paid to pollinate, I would keep them closer where you are more likely to tend to them when you have a free hour or so.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

My wife made me move my bees from my yard and they are 26 miles away. I had to move them in a hurry to keep the bee hater happy and the location is less than idea . The only bright side is 24 of those miles are at highway speeds and the owner will allow me to plant 50 acres of clover if I want. Twenty-six miles would not be bad if the location had good nectar. The distance does require you to plan your beekeeping activity because you don’t want to make a second trip to the yard.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

My wife made me move my bees from my yard and they are 26 miles away. I had to move them in a hurry to keep the bee hater happy and the location is less than ideal.
    Magnet-man, you've got your priorities all mixed up. Help us out here, Doug.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

My sister said to divorce her, but I promised to lover her through sickness and health. I can’t divorce her when she is crazy. Only crazy people don’t like bees.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

A half hour drive isn't bad compared to an hour and 15 minutes (85 miles) one way. Actually to avoid supporting oil profits I am moving my really remote yard located north of New Orleans to my parish or adjacent parishes. I'll use the one north of New Orleans only for the yearly spring gallberry flow.

I guess you have to figure how much gas money you want to spend each month to week and how much time driving or how much time you want to avoid the bee hater.

Actually as my current USACE project requires me to be on business out-of-state for 3 weeks/month, all my yards are now around 1,500 miles away (one way) from the Best Western Inn and Suites in Yuma were I am currently staying.

Oddly, while Katrina blew down hundreds of trees around the outyard and damaged nearby homes, my then one hive remained standing and unharmed.

Still scratching my head over that one!!
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

I moved my outyard from a half hour away to fifteen minutes. The price of gas and my time had alot to do with it.
    "To bee or not to bee"

When I do splits in the spring I normally take the splits to my mother's house which is about 15 minutes away. But since last year the Pa. dept of transportation has turned this into a little over a half hour due to their road work detour. After reading your question I decided that a half hour really isn't that far to go if there is a good reason to do it. Who knows, you may find that the location will provide you with a whopper of a honey flow this and every year. That would make it well worthwhile to travel there and back when needed.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

My most distant outyard is 2 1/2 hours away, my father in law checks the hives on a regular basis and I get to them about once a month. In the fall they are all moved to the back yard where I can prepare them for the winter.

Blessed Bee
    Doug
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.