Thread: Go up or down?

BILLY BOB Guest

Question

Hi everybody.

My father and I were having a bee talk when he ask me a question that I didn't have an answer for.

"If bees naturally build comb from the top down, then why don't you put the supers under the brood box?"

The only answer I had was, the higher you went the harder it would be to put supers under the brood box.

Thanks for any help you can send me.

Billy Bob

Hi,

Many beekeepers don't want brood in their honey supers for one. Also bees will expand upwards. Yes you can add foundation to the bottom.This would be good if you are going from a double to a triple broodnest. Picture a colony 6 or seven deep high filling with honey. Now take it a part and add a box on the bottom board. Thats a lot of lifting! Now do it 50 to 100 times. God help you if its 500 or more colonies. Bottom supering can be tough enough. So to answer your question, bees usually organize their colonies with the honey up and the brood down. So if you want honey add it over the broodnest. If you want brood add it in or under the brood nest(for vertical configurations). There are exceptions from time to time.

Clay

BILLY BOB Guest

Thanks Clay,

I was thinking the same thing. I never thought about when I add a 2nd brood box though. I'm planning on going to 2 brood boxes this year.

So if I'm going to add a 2nd brood box, you're saying that it would be better to put it on bottom? Maybe drop some frams from the first brood box into the bottom?

Thanks
    Billy Bob

Hi,

So if I'm going to add a 2nd brood box, you're saying that it would be better to put it on bottom?
    reply:

You could go on top or bottom. I've done it both ways. Yes you can bring frames down too or up as the situation dictates.

Clay