Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Lost pollen sub recipe

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  clintonbemrose 
#1 ·
I lost the recipe for the pollen substitute that you mix with water from the dadant company. If anyone knows the reciepie I would greatly appreciate it. I have never used the stuff before and don’t want to guess the amount of water to add.

#2 ·
For single patties, mix 1 cup of pollen substitute with approx. 1/4 cup of water. Its consistency should resemble stiff dough.

On a personal note, I've tried this method as the instructions say, but the bees have always seemed to avoid the patties, or they get hard as a rock. I have had good success mixing the pollen substitute with crystalized honey. The bees absolutely love it and will feed on it even during the cold weather. I make the patties relatively soft, yet not too sticky so that the bees can walk on it. I have several hives already on their second and third helpings this year. Just make sure that your honey is from disease free hives.

------------------
http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

#4 ·
If you don't have the crystalized honey, go ahead and try the sugar or partial honey syrup. I've been brave enough to taste the pollen substitute, and actually it has a sweet, nutty flavor. I believe there are sugars present in it already.
When you use the syrup, try to make the patties as soft as possible, yet firm enough so they don't run down the frames. Then sit back and watch what happens.

Regards,
Jim

------------------
http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

#5 ·
Hi,

You could try dry substitute too. Just dust it over the cluster. Sometimes the bees take to it. However they don't always. Have had good results with dry sub in the past. But the best is REAL pollen. Take a frame or two out in the active season and put in the freezer then give to those that need it.

Clay

#6 ·
The recipe that I have from Michigan State University is 1 Cup of Broodbuilder to 1/4 cup of 1 to 1 sugar syrup mixed to bread dough consistancy rolled to 1/4 inch and put between 2 sheets of wax paper to help keep it moist. this is then placed on your top bars

------------------
Clinton Bemrose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.