I am going to build some top-feeders using the design on this website, and I hope someone can tell me what kind of glue/sealant I can use that will be strong, waterproof, and totally non-poisonous to the bees, and which wont leave toxins in the wax or honey. Thanks.

BILLY BOB Guest

Hello,

Nail or screw it together then use bees wax to seal it.

Billy Bob

I would recommend using a polyurethane glue similiar to "Gorilla Glue". You might be able to get away with a Type II glue. In either case I agree with Billy Bob and would use melted wax (I used regular parafin wax)to seal the inside of the box areas. I also used spray shellac to seal the box areas before applying the wax.

I used parrafin wax bought at the hardware store. It used to be used in preserving jams. I Coated the inside with 2 coats of good varnish (Marine) and then I heated the wax in a double boiler situation and poured the hot wax into the feeder and swirled it around. (I set a coffee can of wax into a pot of boiling water.)The glue was a long way from the bees by then. At first I drowned a lot of bees. I redid one group of feeders by adding a 45% slope from the bees side downwards and covering with screen wire. Other feeders I just lined the feeding slot with screen wire. I'll let you know later what worked best.

Big Grin

I used Titebond II glue, it is USDA approved for food contact, also its waterproof. To seal I used spar urethane and parrafin. They had no leaks on the first try and the bees love it. They went from eating almost 1 quart a day with a bucket feeder to over 2 quarts a day with the miller feeder.