Hybrid View

I have 2 hives that I have been feeding. One is a package that was hived in April and the other is a swarm that I captured in May. The package has really taken off and has full comb built in 2 brood boxes and 1 super. They have a lot of sugar water stored in the super and the brood boxes. Didn't have much of a bloom due to drought. The hived swarm is still building comb in their 2nd brood box and have some sugar water stored also.
    I have stopped feeding the package due to the large quantity of sugar water stored. I am still feeding the hived swarm to try and get them built up a little more and let them build their comb.
    Am I doing the right thing? Is it OK for them to have all this sugar water stored? Will it be enough for them to overwinter? Will the get a late flow now that it is raining and build up honey stores?

Hi

you wrote:
    Am I doing the right thing? Is it OK for them to have all this sugar water stored? Will it be enough for them to overwinter? Will the get a late flow now that it is raining and build up honey stores?

Reply:
    So far so good, but if you have rain now and a late flow, once they start to bring in pollen they need to store quite a bit of it also for winter to make it through. They will need the pollen to raise brood to restart up in the spring.

I would stop the sugar water for now as the plants are coming on. You should have sufficient stores in the colonys now.

They need to take on pollen and real honey with it's vitamins and minerals for a full diet if possible.

Only if they do not get enough honey and pollen for winter would I go back and then feed more sugar syrup water. But give the bees a chance for now with rains getting things going.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby