Question

I have read several comments about how much trouble it is to extract a few frames at a time due to having to "sterilize" the extractor after each use.

How do you "sterilize an extractor" and why is that necessary instead of just washing it out ?? Straighten me out again, folks. :-> I have extracting to do. hehe

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

I guess I've been doing it wrong for 35 years. I just hose it out with hot water before and after using. Sometimes I hot pressure wash it a bit.

Personally, besides washing it out with a plastic scrubbe I boil up four pots of water and pour boiling water all over the inside and on the rack to try to get everything out. I do it to kill some bacteria, but also because it will dissolve any honey residue that might have been left and any dust that might have accumulated and gotten stuck in some corner.

Just plain hot water.I've heard of people using soap,but I wouldnt because soap residue is hard to remove completely.

Take it down to any carwash that has a high pressure hot water set up. Give it a good going over and rinse, then take it home, pour a couple pots of boiling water over the inside, dry it off and go to work. I put it on my trailer; my buddy washes it in the back of his truck. Both of us cover it with drum liners while traveling.
    Ox

Thank You all. Doesn't sound quite as serious when you put it like that. Hot water sounds REAL good to me. :->

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

And remember that honey is used as an anti-bacterial application. Since honey is hygroscopic, it sucks water out of things... like bacteria, which is how it kills bacteria. So, ya, just for cleanliness I would wash it out, but your honey will kill any bacteria that might enter.

I also don't use soap because I'm afraid I won't get all the resdue out and it will taint the taste of the honey. If I think it is particularly dirty, I might use some clorox in water and then rinse really well.

The high pressure hose at the local carwash works great as one person pointed out.
    A rinse with few gallons of hot water and the addition of a couple of cap fulls of bleach should finish off the job nicely!
    For the gears and pivot point in the bottom, there is a food grade grease that comes in a spray can which works great also.

A friend of mine sets his extractor out for the bees to clean out after he gets through extracting. Then uses Hot water to rinse it out when he is ready to extract again. Is this enough??????? Dale