Thread: Winter Stores

Cool

Now, I know to leave the two deeps for them in Kansas City. Should I also leave a full super above that?

And should I remove the queen excluder for the winter? I'm thinking if the cluster needs the honey, they can move up to it. Queen and all.

I do not have small cell in any thing but the deeps. I'd hate for the queen to start laying big bees again in the early spring.

I will save some honey to feed them if necessary. I am hoping that the 1 super would be enough. Oh, I'd leave a medium on for the winter.

Thanks,
    Martha

>Now, I know to leave the two deeps for them in Kansas City. Should I also leave a full super above that?

I would not. It's more room than they need to heat and more stores than they can consume in your climate in the winter. But you could hang onto the super and possibly add it in the spring when brood rearing starts so they don't run out of stores then.

>And should I remove the queen excluder for the winter?

ABSOLUTELY! Never overwinter a hive with an excluder on. Otherwise the cluster will move up and leave the queen behind to freeze.

>I do not have small cell in any thing but the deeps. I'd hate for the queen to start laying big bees again in the early spring.

Everything has it's risks. I'd take the supers off after the first hard frost and stack them up bee tight next to the hive and then put them back on in the spring. You could use an excluder come spring if you need to. Or even put the supers above the inner cover so they will be more likely to move the honey back down into the brood chamber.

>I will save some honey to feed them if necessary.

Combs are always better than liquid honey. You can put some combs in in winter eaisly (or add the super back) but it takes warm weather for them to store much from feeding.

Interesting,

How would you store a super of capped honey thorugh the winter?

Thanks!

I leave it on the hive until there is a hard enough freeze to kill the moths and then I put it on a closed up bottom (a simple piece of plywood 16 1/4" by 20" works well) and close up the top (a migratory cover or an inner cover without a notch and a telescopic etc. would work) Just so the moths can't easily get in and the bees can't get in. Around here it will keep until spring when I would put it back on the hive.

I couldn't say how it would do in Maryland. Putting it in the deep freeze is the most reliable.

I just leave it on top of the hive. Let the bees protect it and if need be they would have the food right there.
    Dan