Question

can someone tell me where i can purchase screened bottom boards? i would like to change out all of my bottem boards to the screen ones. i have look at the bee suppliers and have not seen them. maybe i've over looked them but i have not seen any for sell.

I bought screens from Dadant that fit on top of the existing bottom board. I then fabricated new bottom boards that were open in the center from 1"x4" lumber (using the existing board as a pattern). I use the plastic sheet that came with Dadant to close the open space in the winter (Coated with FGMO to "catch" mites) and pull it out in the summer for ventilation and to let the mites fall through.

thanks for the reply, yes i saw the top screens but i thought that you could buy the ones to replace the solid bottem boards, i hate to cut the center out of mine but i will if i have to. i have one of the maxant styfoam hives and it has the screened bottom on it and that hive done better than the other 9 hives that i have. just thinking i'll change all to the screen bottoms.

You can get the SBB at most bee supply co. Just call and talk to them. It is a lot of work to modify the solid boards.

Brushy Mountain has been selling screened bottom boards (a.k.a. IPM bottom boards) for some time now. If you go to this web site => www.beeequipment.com and use item number 277 in a search, you'll find them.

I bought a couple from Brushy Mountain during the summer, and as I replaced bottom boards on other hives, I took the old ones, cut a large opening with a Jigsaw, then put screen on them to use too, so that I wouldn't end up with a bunch of solid bottom boards sitting around unused.

I make my own. The hardest thing is to find the screen. Although, I have used regular window screen, and it seems to work. 8 mesh screen is not available in just every hardware store. I did a search on google, and am seriously considering buying the 100 ft. rolls. I will use that if not more in a season. I screen everything, even my nucs. This year, I am going to regress to 4.9, but I think the sbb is also a big plus for hive ventilation as well. I am also trying leaving them open this winter. My hive stands are made in such a way, that wind is sealed, so we shall see.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

I am converting to two hive screened bottom pallets. They are 33.25" X 22". I have 3/4" X 2"handle cleats on the ends of all of my supers,therefore the 22" depth of the pallet. I use 2X6 for the three 22" inch lengths. Two 1 1/2"X2" boards are set down in notches of the front and back of the 22" lengths. I have added three 1 1/2"X 2" X 33.25" boards to the bottom to allow for the forklift to enter either sides. One piece of 1/8" mesh covers the top, with two pallet clips nailed to the center 22" beam. The 22" beams have a 3/8" slot dadoed in to allow for a 1/4" masonite or other tray under the mesh. These trays have a cleat to allow for full bottom closure. I am permanently screwing my slatted racks to the brood chambers, and cut a slot in these to make for the entrances.

BeeCatcher, try Mann Lake.

Brushy Mountain Bee Supply will sell you the hardware mesh.
    www.beeequipment.com

I have made my own bottom boards for years now so converting those solid boards to screen bb's was no trouble. However. I have not really started using SBB's yet, change is hard I think. I did put two out late this summer on the two hives I keep at home and really didn't see much change. It is not a great test because it was late and I didn't put anything under to catch mites but the bees are still alive, guess thats two points in my favor. I know people have talked about leaving them on all winter with no problems but we don't always get enough snow to cover the hive stand so I may loose these bees over the winter. Oh well, nothing tried, nothing gained I guess. Spring and splits are just around the corner. Anyway, any bee supply houses listed here will have these, and if you are at all handy in the shop, by all means make them yourself, you will save a small bundle of money. It's makes a great winter project when you can't get out and work with the bees themselves.

David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME
    dwallace@llbean.com

Beesource has the plans for a screened bottom board on their website, looks good.
    Bigearl

Smile

thanks for the info. i just ordered 5 from bushy mountian, maybe they will send me a catalog along with the order.

Don't worry, you will get a catolog!

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Big Grin

To get the screen I just went to my local ACE hardware store and asked them to order a roll of "1/8"x1/8" galvanized hardware cloth" (funny name to call this cloth, any ideas why?). I got it in a few days. A roll will be good for a bunch of SBBs, but it being wire mesh really and not cloth, it should be good for a lifetime anyway.

I haven't made my own yet, but my idea to modify standard bottom boards is to simply make a screened frame 22"x16-1/4" (with 1"x4" boards) and add a 3/4"x3/4" cleat on the 2 long sides and on one of the narrow sides. This sits right on top of the bottom board (that could be used reversed so that the space between screen and bottom is reduced to 3/8" instead of the full 3/4"). A FGMO-covered something or other can be introduced through the opening left under the screen to catch the mites, and/or the opening can be closed in the winter with an appropriate removable piece of wood (or not if you want more ventilation).
    Anyway, I am about to start making these and will test the results in the spring.
    If anyone has objections to the design, I am ready to change it.

Jorge

I think it's "Hardware cloth" because it is woven (however open) like cloth and it's made out of "hardware". Wire cloth would seem more apropos.

The design you say sounds ok, but I would turn the the opening to the long side. It has the advantage of a larger entrance and being able to work the hive from the back instead of the side, which results in less attention by the gaurd bees and less ankle stings.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited November 15, 2002).]

You are right, it would be better to make the entrance along the long side. However, do you have to worry about turning the hive to make them face the same way as before? Does it make any difference. The only little problem, though, is that the outer cover would not be sheltering the entrance from rain as well.

jorge

You are right, it would be better to make the entrance along the long side. However, do you have to worry about turning the hive to make them face the same way as before? Does it make any difference. The only little problem, though, is that the outer cover would not be sheltering the entrance from rain as well.

jorge

I've never worried about the direction, I just rotate it 90 degrees. I suppose it would take the bees a little while to orient inside. As far as the rain, I don't know the exact situation. If you face the entrance away from prevailing winds and set the hive so the bottom slopes slightly toward the entrance it should be fine.