Thread: hive plans

would like to know where to find beehive
    plans of any type! thanks!!!!!!!!!!

There is a guy on ebay who sells plans and I'm amazed when people buy them. They are also in some good bee books and can be downloaded for free. M.B. probably has them on file(?)

My suggestion is go with the standard sizes and order a complete hive from one of the major manufacturers. Then use red paint and mark each item, making them your pattern for reference, measuring, etc. I have the measurements written down but when setting my table saw or other piece of equipment, I usually use the pattern example as a guide. I find it very handy to have a complete disassembled hive, telescoping top, bottom, hive stand, inner cover etc, at my fingertips.
    Frames are another story and will usually buy them. To much hassle making them.

I've done the math its not worth your time unless you have all the tools to make a hive from scratch.

You can buy pre fabricated or pre cut hive parts and all you do is put it together.

On the other hand if you want an observation hive you can modify a normal hive or you may need build one if you want specific size. You can buy observation hives too.

Assuming you are handy with tools and measurements you still usually can't build one for what you can buy it. A budget medium box from Western Bee www.westerbnee.com in quantities of 50 are $4.50. Quantities of 1 are $5.00. Even with the shipping tacked on I can't buy the wood for that much. Of course if you have access to scraps of one by wood 17 to 20" long then it's worth building them. I make a lot of lids and bottoms from scrap wood. I also make a lot of odd things like 3 frame nucs or double wide (22 frame) boxes.

Frames are almost always worth buying unless you have special tools to make them.

Of course if you can get scrap wood to build it a top bar hive doesn't have frames and top bars are easy to make.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited June 12, 2003).]

You have wright. It does not worth to make your own hives unless you have tools as you said and time. The easiest thing is to build the box. If you want to make box joints you need a table saw or a router. Making the frames you have to spend more time. I build all my hives by myself, they cost me 1/2 of the price of a hive but takes me all my free time.

Michael
    Could you repost that link? I couldn't get it to work. Course it could just be me.

Marty

It's me. I can't type sometimes. I fixed it above but here's the whole thing: http://www.westernbee.com/

The key is the cost of the wood.

I have access to a man who buys 1x12 boards in 12-15 ft lengths from a military contract that scraps wooden crates and tubing boxes in building subs. I am not sure what he buys them for but he sells them to me at $5 for rough cut on one side and $6 for finish cut on all sides. Not sure what he buys them for but he definetly makes a profit.
    I have also bought CHEAP wood from the Amish community. Amazed its worth it to them to do the cutting.
    I also watch the side storage area of Home Depot/Lowes/Ace/Etc, as they always have an area they throw scrap, split or damaged wood. Can get it cheap to haul it away.
    Also bought alot of wood at farm auctions and the like.
    I know not everyone has access to the above mentioned opportunities but maybe you can use this information to your advantage.
    The one thing I do not do is buy regular priced wood at home depot, etc. I agree that just buying them is better.

Check this out
    http://www.johnlguilfoyle.com.au/vistors%20photos.htm

I can see why its so cheap to buy a hive now rather than make your own.

If you buy a copy of Beekeping for Dummies(really!), there is a section in there with plans.