Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasticell

First off I would like to say this board appears to be just what I've been looking for. As a first time beekeeper, many of my questions have been answered by scrolling through old posts. My first question (of many I'm sure) is; I am expecting my first bees (five frame Nuc) in April and while everything (HB, Super etc.) is ready and waiting, do I need to do anything to my uncoated plasticell or will the bees from the nuc accept them as is? Plasticell is only used in the HB frames, I'm planning to use medium brood foundation in the super when the time comes for it.

Thanks in advance,
    David

Stewaw: I strongly recommend using wax coated Placticell. I only use plactic foundation in wooden frames for both my deep brood boxes and medium supers. The smell of the wax draws them to draw it out much faster.

you should coat the plasticell with wax. try to do it right before you are ready for it ,that away it will still smell like fresh wax.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

They sell it coated and uncoated, I think. I would always buy it coated. If it's not, then melt some beeswax and paint it on with a brush.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for all the helpful info. Chalk this up to one of those "should have done more homework first". This is for deep brood frames. I have plenty of time to correct it before the bees arrive so I'll get it taken care of. Michael- it was available as coated or uncoated and I just chose the wrong one. Thanks again all.

And, I would highly recommend getting a second, possibly a third nuc. It's much better to learn with more than one hive.

I certainly plan too Dcross, it's a matter of economics right now. Wife is a little timid right now and aside from the "astronomical start up costs" (her words) I believe this is one of those "ease into it" hobbies. I've been married to her for thirteen years....I know when to dive in and when to tread slowly LOL. As I run across "good deals" I'll snatch them up but right now everything is off the shelf new. I plan to maintain at a minimum, three hives. That should provide a measure of protection against the more common beginner errors. Been interested in bees since I was a kid and watched a commercial harvester moving through the area chasing the flow. Now I finally have the space and resources to pursue it.

<<I've been married to her for thirteen years....I know when to dive in and when to tread slowly LOL. >>

I'm still learning that one

I love the "honey.. you have spent way too much money on bees this month"
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Beekeeping is beekeeping.I don't use plastics,I don't recommend the stuff, and we do all as it was meant to be done!!Wired wax and wood frames.

Well I use some wired and some with pins both work fine with wax foundation this yeat im going to some with not foundation to see how that goes

>Beekeeping is beekeeping.I don't use plastics,I don't recommend the stuff, and we do all as it was meant to be done!!Wired wax and wood frames.

You must be related to ODD Frank.
    Bill

(Wondering why, if I'm not "doing" it as it is "meant" to be done, then why am I suceeding?)
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

>we do all as it was meant to be done!!Wired wax and wood frames.

You should always build your frames like the bees do and wire them the same way the bees do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Although I would avoid useing it in the same manner, I think plastic foundation is the greatest invention since toilet paper. Plastic foundation is easy to put in. If the evil waxie moths visit you, you can scrap it off and keep on truckin.IMHO wax coated foundation is worth the extra cost, but with good bees and a good nectar flow, plain foundation will draw out fine.

Where is this ODD Frank?? I bet he is another 30+ year beekeeper w/o loosing any colonies to the mites. Everyone seems to have their know how. Be it chemicals,acids or god knows what else.Fast and easy is always better??? Ask Odd Frank who is right. If you lost frames to wax moths, don't blame the moths. Blame the beekeeper for letting it happen!! Yep, fast and easy.How many poisons does it include in the making of that plastic stuff? Beekeeping is also ecology.Worst junk around is plastics , thanks to better and faster. No, Frank and many like me will continue as we were taught by our mentors. It takes longer but something to be proud of when assembeled.True Beekeepers respect this . Others try and put it others down to look better. Sometimes it is better to listen to experienced beekeepers than to put a foot in your mouth to soon.If you watch a site long enough you can read who is the bullies and who isn't

You are actully much closer to the truth than you know. ODFrank is an accomplished beekeeper of many years. He is old school and that is what works for him. He is quite addamint about not using plastic too. I can't say if he looses colonies and to what, but I can assume that like all of us and propably you too, we all occasionally loose some to something. Nature looses quite a few on her own.

We all need to find what works for us. Wether it is in management, equipment, or medications. Technique will vary for all of us and no ONE certain way is the absolute cookie cutter way of success.

What I do is right for me. I am enjoying success with the methods and equipment that I use. I loose a few, but that is the measure of success. I don't add any chemicals to my hives, no treatment other than oxalic in the fall, so until I get resistant bees I will continue to loose bees, but that does not mean that I am a bad beekeeper, it means that I chose a different path than you.

I am not trying to change your methods, if they work for you, more power to you! But if we wern't out here trying new methods and equipment there would be no advances in beekeeping, we'd be stuck in old school ways loosing our bees.

>Sometimes it is better to listen to experienced beekeepers than to put a foot in your mouth to soon.If you watch a site long enough you can read who is the bullies and who isn't

I am quite willing to glean the knowledge of your experiance, right up to the point of ranting and calling us, (me?), bullies.

"ease into it"

Anyone else laugh? Good luck, I'm way overboard.

Like Bullseye Bill said we all need to use what is best for us. I help an 'old timer' as I can, we talk about different methods, he Uses Chemicals on his hives but is interested in essential oils, which I use. He has never told me not to try other things and, infact, just the oppsite he encourages trying other things. We both laugh about the old saying "Don't try to reinvent the wheel", how else are we going to learn what is best 'For me'. I maintain that what works for one may not work for another. So I take all and use what fits me, keeping the rest in reserve so I can compare which is better.
    I've had mixed results w/both plactia cell and wired and Durigult. Generally running a mix, the plastia cell was given to me so I'll use it, I bought Durigult, so I use it, Also have wired foundation so I'll use it. Also when I capture a ferial colony I let them draw their comb out to my frames and use it in brood chamber, The chew and dispose the rubber band. It works. So I'm not purist it's all good.
    YBCUTE; to follow blindly and to so vemonetly oppose something new is to assure nothing new is learned. Nothing in this life is written in concret. Every thing can and does change. Our lives were built on experment. From Fire to jet power.
    We each learn thru our mistakes and thru the mistakes of others.
    I've preached enough now to see the responses.
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

I think one needs to find out what works for them. It all depends on certain things and priorities in everyones life. If you have time to biuld frames, go for it. If you dont, use plastic. We all live and learn.... that is what life is all about. You make a mistake.... you tell others. They might or might not make the same mistake. Doesnt matter. Remember.... any hobby should be fun!
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast