Thread: 24 hr mite drop

I know that i've read it, but please refresh my memory.What does the no.of mites on the board indicate a person should see in the hive? Thanks...........Ron

If you are dropping three or four mites in 24 hours you have nothing at all to worry about. If you are keeping track and the numbers of mites keep growing and this is a strong hive and it gets to about 50 or 60 mites in 24 hours, I'm a little worried. If it gets to several hundred in 24 hours, it's time to panic.

The number will vary, with more in the fall than in the spring. More in a large hive than a small hive. More on a hot day than a cool day. So it's hard to come up with an exact figure for what is acceptable. But what usually causes a crash is an exponential growth in the number of mites in the fall.

I've gotten about 30 mites in 24 hrs. the last 2 times I checked.(8/27 and 9/18) on each of my 2 hives. Should I be worried? I have SBB's. I have Checkmite, but really want to avoid using it. (bought it half-price from a friend when I got the hives) If I need to treat for mites I'm leaning toward Api-life VAR, but know it's only gets about 70% effective. (accord. to Brushy Mountain) What do any of you think? Any experience with Api-life? With only 2 hives I'd rather not invest in a fogger and all that's involved with FGMO, unless I have no alternative. Thanks for any info.

On a booming hive in the fall that doesn't sound too terrible, but I'd keep an eye on it. Mite populations can grow exponentially this time of year. You can probably get away with not treating.

The simplest, cheapest and most effective treatment, IMO, is the home made oxalic acid vaporizor.

FGMO fog isn't that complicated, but it will cost about $50 to $60 for the fogger.

If you have to use a chemical, why use Checkmite. It is an organophosphate (Did I spell that right?)It is a potent nerve toxin. At least start with Apistan. Just because the catologs sell something doesn't mean it's a good idea. I wouldn't go to this unless the mite counts were 50/60 mites a day. Then I would use api-life or Sucricide or Oxalic acid(O/A is my 1st choice)

Dickm