Thread: Providing water

Question

It is now in the 90's in the KC area and I wanted to know some of my options in providing water for my bees. There isn't a water source very close to my hives.

Thanks,

From what I have read you could put out a small pie pan with some small rocks or pebbles in it so the bees wont be able to drown in it or a bird feeder near but not right next to the hive or hives.

The problem with water is keeping them from drowning. They need an "approach". Like a ramp going down to the water. I have a creek nearby and they will go there if there isn't any around the house, but there is usually some water somwhere. Floats like chucks of bark or thin pieces of wood are nice too. You can always put some water in a boardman feeder and put it on the hive.

I use corn cob's for float's,The rough texture makes it good for the bees to hold on to.It also soak's the moisture into the cob,I've watched the bees work them for 2 day's after the pan's are dry.So next time you eat corn on the cob, save the cob,>>>>Mark

I like to use a five gallon plastic bucket. All I do is make a very small hole near the bottom with a tiny finish nail. I then place the filled bucket somewhere elevated a few feet with either a board or block under the dripping water and cover the top to prevent drowning. The bees readily find the dripping water and the water last only about 2 days so that it doesn't become a haven for mosquitoes. Its not the prettiest thing to look at but it is functional.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

I don't know if it is all true, but I read somewhere that bees are very "faithful" to a given water source. So if you are to provide them with an artifical source like a bird feeder or a Boardman feeder or anything else you have to refill, you don't want to forget to do it, because the bees may not search for another source of water so the hive may suffer from this "no more water situation"

Hugo

mmundy Guest

This "committment to a source" must be the reason that my bees prefer my neighbor's birdbath to the caserol dish of gravel and water that I have placed just a few feet in front of their hive. Huh. Fortunately my neighbor thinks the bees are pretty cool. His wife likes to save them at times from drowning.

[This message has been edited by mmundy (edited July 04, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by mmundy (edited July 04, 2003).]

They are committed to it until it runs dry then they look for another one. They will fly right over water that wasn't there before for the source they are in the habit of using. Bees are creatures of habit not logic.

sponges work well,they also seem to like wet dead wood.