Well, I did it now.
    Was helping daughter install her package colony into new hive. I was confused by the set up of the queen cage. Instead of removing a cork I pulled back a corner of the screen to expose bee candy. She checked a bit later and queen was already free. Now I've realized my mistake and we are concerned that bees may attack and kill queen.

I guess there is nothing to do but wait and see. Our plan is to wait a few days and then check for eggs.Any comments?

Kicking myself,
    MM

It will probably be ok.The bees in the package have already had time to get to know her.So just proceed as planned.

Most packages are with the queen for a few days bfore you get them. I am thinking they will be ok.

The 3 packages I bought didn't even HAVE candy, so I released the queens directly. It went well, except when I was peeling the wire back on one and the queen stuck her head in the opening and I lost my grip. She REALLY disliked that! 3 days later though, all 3 are laying and alive.

I often do direct relase of a queen to a package anyway. Since the queen and the bees have already had a few days to get used to each other and since it saves me trips to the hive and saves the whole "burr comb around the cage" problem, I do it often. It probably rasies the chances of them absconding, but I've seldom had it happen. I could put an excluder on the bottom board in "includer" position but I usually don't bother. One started to abscond this year and I put some lemongrass oil in another box and shook them all into that and they settled right down.