Thread: Queen Question

Question

I'm new to beekeeping, but I did successfully capture a swarm and put it in a hive I bought. They seem happy and everything is going well. I found the queen and she looks happy, I guess. My question is: can I take the queen out of my existing hive and put her in another new hive? Will the old colony produce a new queen? How long will it take? I need more colonies and there doesn't seem to be any beekeeping supply houses with any available bees...any ideas?

> I did successfully capture a swarm and put it in a hive I bought. They seem happy and everything is going well.<

Great! A hived swarm can do great things.

>My question is: can I take the queen out of my existing hive and put her in another new hive?<

What do you mean by "another new hive?" Do you have another hive of bees that don't have a queen? One could do this but I would suggest you would not want to take the risk of messing up this hive. If the hive is doing really well, I would want to maintain this hive as is. You could end up with two hives that are queenless.

> Will the old colony produce a new queen?<

How about letting the new hive produce a new queen. Take a frame that has new eggs in the cells from the hived swarm and place it into the queenless hive. From this, they bees should raise themselves a few queen cells and hopefully a queen.

>I need more colonies and there doesn't seem to be any beekeeping supply houses with any available bees...any ideas?<

A safer way to go about increase is to split your hives when they are strong enough to do so. You could also get into raising some extra queens with the help of various queen rearing systems such as Ezi-queen or Jenter that the suppliers offer.

Regards,
    Barry