Thread: Foundations

Big Grin

I have some questions about setting up my frames and my foundations

1. Do you use any kind or rust resistant nails on the frames ?
    2. I want to use a staple gun to attach wedges to top bars, will this be OK ?
    3. I am using deep crimped-wire foundation for my brood boxes. Do i need to use crosswires or support pins if i'm not going to extract the honey from the foundations.
    4. If i was to cross wire how do you attach the wire to the frames
    5. The plans on this site don't show the placement for holes on the side bars. Anybody tell me where to put them ?

Re: frames and foundation

#1) I do not. Cement coated 1-1/4" nails is what I've used for frame nailing. Next time I assemble any frames I will use my pneumatic 1/4" narrow crown stapler using 1-1/2" long staples. Also a good idea to use a fastener through the side bar into the top bar just under the top bar end.

#2) It will be okay if it works. You will need a very heavy duty staple gun and soft wedge for this to work I would think. Try it and see if it works. I use 3/4" nails myself.

#3) No, if you're not extracting.

#4) See http://www.beesource.com/eob/wire_embedder/index.htm
    Still needs the text but the pictures should help. Wrap the wire around the nail a few times and set the nail. Break off the wire tab.

#5) 5 holes are suggested for deep frames. Start with the first hole center of side bar. Evenly space remaining holes. Keep top and bottom hole about an inch away from top and bottom bars.

Regards,
    Barry

Big Grin

The pictures make wiring the frames pretty clear for me but what is with the "Jumper cable" looking things in the last pictures.

Also when I looked back at the plans for the frames I saw the measurments for the tack strip is 1/4 inch thick. Well I guess I missed that the frist time I looked at the plans. I ripped the tack strip off the top bar with my table saw. That left me with a tack strip 1/8 inch thick. Will it be OK to use or should i make new ones.
    P.S. the 1/8 inch tack strips work good with a staple gun. I staples one in place with 3/8 inch staples and it held tight. 1/2 inch staples might even be better

The "Jumper cable" thing is a means for heating the wire for embedding into the wax. It's just simple lampcord wire run into a box to switch the hot side and then attaching it to a clothes iron bottom coil for line resistance and then to a spring clip. You attach each clip to an end of the wire on the frame with the foundation resting on top, turn on the switch for a few seconds to send current through the wire that heats up, and the wires will melt into the wax. Others have used battery chargers to do the same thing.

You should be okay using the 1/8" tack strip. 1/4" would give you more wood in contact with the wax, but as long as you get the 1/8" piece tight against the wax, it will work. Besides, if you are also installing horizontal wiring, you wouldn't even have to use tack strips, just a groove in the top bar would work. Once the bees work on the wax, it will get fastened by them just fine.

Regards,
    Barry

How many holes in a medium side bar,6 1/4 inch.

Hi,

You want at least two. Three would be better.

Clay

What size holes go in the side bars ?

Thank you all for the answers to my questions. You have all been very helpful.