Question

What happens to the bees if they drink sugar water that is burned? How do you tell if it is burned?

I tried making some sugar patties earlier this winter, and the sugar and water would never make a candy (hardball stage), instead the sugar would recrystalize. Anyways, some of it turned yellowish, and I don't know if it is any good.

Thanks,
    Oscar

How burned is burned when you make toast? It's kind of a matter of degree. Also, it is more important in the winter for them to have clean stores and no dysentary than in good weather. I wouldn't feed anything questionalble in the winter or fall. I might try a little in the summer or late spring and see what effect it has on the bees. If they get dysentary, then you can pull it.

What is in the sugar patties? Anything that would turn it yellow? If not, then it probably carmelized a bit. It's your choice, but carmelized isn't very good for the bees, especially in fall and winter when weather good enough for voiding is unpredicable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think it was carmelized. There was nothing in the sugar patties to cause it to turn yellow, just sugar and water...I wanted to make sure they didn't run out of feed during the cold spells. I finally just put straight sugar on top to give them some food.

I have added a some water (to dilute the sugar content), and it is still a little yellow. I would like to feed it to try to get the brood buildup now. If it is no good, I can just throw it out though.

I wouldn't feed it now, but you might when the weather is warmer. It's still cold in OKC this time of year.

Every winter I lived in OKC everyone said it was the worst winter they ever saw. [img]smile.gif[/img] Being from Western Nebraska, none of them were the worst I ever saw. But still it would be enough cold in February I wouldn't want to give them a case of the trots when it's too cold to go outside sometimes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

OK. Thanks. I will go get some more sugar and make a good batch of sugar water up.

moposcar: High fructose corn syrup is available from George's Apiary in Noble, OK., telephone 405-872-8385 He will sell in small quanties; five gallons and up.
    Website is: www.georgesapiary.com
    Jerry